Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-05-21 16:04:48

klakritz
Eggcornista

'emotional liability' for 'emotional lability'

‘Lability’ is a slightly unusual word, but not so much so as to excuse the frequency of this substitution in official and semi-official pronouncements. 8k vs. 100k ghits. Examples:

eMedicine – Cushing Syndrome…
Patients may experience emotional liability, fatigue, and depression. ... Because excess glucocorticoids can lead to emotional liability and depression …
www.emedicine.com/med/topic485.htm

Emotional liability (otherwise known as pseudobulbar affect, ... Emotional liability can occur in those who have experienced neurological conditions…
www.hmetoday.com/issues/articles/2007-04_13.asp

MBMD (Millon Behavioral Medicine Diagnostic)...
Help identify psychiatric comorbidities that may affect health management such as Anxiety-Tension, Depression, Cognitive Dysfunction, Emotional Liability, ...
www.pearsonassessments.com/tests/mbmd.htm

After a Stroke: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier…
She addresses topics such as communication, emotional liability, safety issues, personal care, relaxation techniques, and intimacy issues.
www.demosmedpub.com/prod.aspx?prod_id=9781932603118

Stroke can cause what is known as “emotional liability” or “emotionalism”. People can cry or, in some cases, laugh for no reason…
www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptom/emotional-liability.htm

Journal of Affective Disorders : Anxiety, depression and psychosis …
The HAS contains questions regarding previous episodes of depression and their duration, emotional liability, demographic details, past medical history …
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0165032799000579

Paxil Side Effects…
Nervous System: Central Nervous System stimulation, concentration impaired, depression, emotional liability (emotional instability) ...
www.paxilside-effects.com/

#2 2008-05-22 08:54:29

billyphuz
Website

Re: 'emotional liability' for 'emotional lability'

There are also about 210 google hits for “emotionability,” which may derive from emotional lability, skipping “emotionalbility” (only 1 google hit) and arriving at a more familiar sounding Ability or Propensity to Become Emotional, or emotionability.

“Let’s not get bogged down in semantics.”—Homer Simpson to Gary Coleman

#3 2008-05-22 13:59:55

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Re: 'emotional liability' for 'emotional lability'

This is the first time I have ever heard of the word “lability.”

I had to look it up just now.

Of course, I’m a lay person; I don’t spend much time talking about the after-effects of strokes. I wonder if those folks whose work you linked to are truly scholarly, or are simply laypersons translating scholarly work for the basic reader, and if they assumed “emotional lability” is a typo.

I wonder about spell check…my Word highlights “lability” as a misspelling but offers no alternative.

I guess I’d heard of “labile,” vaguely, maybe.

Board footer