Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-05-23 11:53:55

jorkel
Eggcornista

WISENED (wizened)

I’ll let this example speak for itself since I’m a little short on time right now…

The Truth, Mainly – Did he say “wisened” or “wizened”?
In his first press conference after being elected to a second term, President Bush said he’d been “wisened” by his experience in Washington. ...
thetruthmainly.com/2004/20041122.html – 8k – Similar pages
http://thetruthmainly.com/2004/20041122.html

#2 2014-02-12 02:48:54

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: WISENED (wizened)

A couple of days ago, I stumbled on this online:

He’s a wisened old man with a plethora of information and good advice on raising chickens and he has a fondness for Rhode Island Reds.
mommy blog

That got me thinking about “wisened” as an eggcorn for “wizened”. They’re both associated with being old, so a person could easily get the impression, after having seen the term “wizened” a few times, that people were referring to the wisdom that purportedly comes with age. On the other hand, it could just be a misspelling. I reckon that some of them are eggcorns, though. Here are a few examples that seem, from the context, to be good candidates for “wisened” as an eggcorn for “wizened”:

wisened old face in Haiti
description of a photo

The Bones Brigade travels around California, Nevada, and Hawaii to different skate spots in search of a wisened old man, Won Ton “Animal” Chin.
synopsis of a movie

But while the RIAA would sue your grandma for file-sharing in a heartbeat, don’t expect them to go over the wisened old matron of the British Isles.
reference to the queen of England

Workshop debate about Kelly’s wizard sleeve thingy sees the the wisened old geezers chuckling :-
discussion among surfers

Rafiki, a wisened old baboon, appears before Mufasa, the lion king, who leads him to where a mother lioness nestles Simba, her newborn cub.
description of trading card

In Inuit mythology, Tootega is a wisened old goddess, who lives in a stone hut and has the ability to walk on water.
Wikipedia article

There are also quite a few substitutions of “wizened” (shriveled) for “wisened” (gotten wiser), for instance:

Langs films are filled with this: men who start out pure or with good intentions, who become bitter, corrupted, or somehow wizened up thru coming into contact with the hard facts of life at some point or another.
cinema discussion

Glad to hear that some places in Arizona have wizened up
discussion of hospital food

there was a time
when I was your fool
but I wizened up
to you being cruel
doggerel

Somehow the substitution of “wizened” for “wisened” doesn’t seem eggcornish to me (it just seems like a misspelling), though in the opposite direction it often does appear to have the eggcornish meaning connection/confusion.

#3 2014-02-12 09:08:01

kem
Eggcornista

There are also quite a few substitutions of “wizened” (shriveled) for “wisened” (gotten wiser)

Could just be an American hypercorrection—thinking that “wisened” is the UK spelling for “wizened.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2014-02-12 17:32:35

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I always pronounced wizened like wisened, i.e. [‘waʲznÌ©d] rather than [‘wιznÌ©d]. I don’t remember thinking that wrinkles come with wisdom, but I might have.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer