Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-05-28 13:53:16

SledDawg

"past time" > pastime

On system or website “login” forms there is often a “secret question” that must be answered in order to retreive a forgotten password. Usually the question is something like “What was the name of your first pet?” or “What is your mother’s maiden name?”

While working in an IT department I have started to see this usage:
“What is your favorite past time?”

I have been tempted to answer “Hmm, well I’ve always been partial to the Victorian Era…” or “Puberty was actually pretty good to me…”

When I confronted the Business Analyst who set up these forms with this confusion she had no idea what I was talking about. I think that she thought that her usage made sense.

#2 2008-05-30 10:59:06

nilep
Eggcornista

Re: "past time" > pastime

Welcome to the Forum, SledDawg.

This is certainly a reshaping and novel usage. In order to be considered an eggcorn, it should also have a semantic component such that the novel usage makes as much or more sense as the original.

Certainly there is an affinity between past and time – we call one of the major divisions of time “the past,” for instance. If the user thinks of a pastime as something that causes (present) time to become past, there may be the necessary semantic component to call this an eggcorn. (And, I suppose “become past” is a fair synonym of “pass” as in the original passe-temps, pass-time.)

I suspect, though, that more than semantics, orthography causes this reshaping. The original pastime includes the string <past>, which would seem to relate more to the noun past than to the verb pass. If someone vaguely remembers the spelling of pastime, it would be a small step to re-shape the form as past time.

Personally, I can never remember whether the past participle of pass is <passed> or <past>. I therefore have every sympathy for those who misspell related words.

Board footer