Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-07-20 00:01:40

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Ramshackle/Ranshakle - is one of these an eggcorn?

Just encountered the word ranshakle – spelled without the letter c, while playing Prolific on Facebook. (Prolific is an obsession, for those unfamiliar it’s a boggle-style word game played against others online.)
Ranshakle is in the SOWPODS dictionary, and google searches turn it up used as I personally am used to seeing ramshackle, most of these sightings seem to be from UK “speakers.”

I could see how ramshackle might be an eggcorn of ranshakle, though I have no idea then what the etymology of ranshakle would be.

#2 2008-07-21 07:59:37

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Ramshackle/Ranshakle - is one of these an eggcorn?

Just for the sake of completeness, I thought I might point out this one…

ramsack for ransack by booboo Contribute! 7 2007-06-05 21:49:17 by patschwieterman

#3 2008-07-23 11:35:47

nilep
Eggcornista

Re: Ramshackle/Ranshakle - is one of these an eggcorn?

For what it’s worth, the Oxford English Dictionary gives ramshack as a regional (US south and midlands) variant of ransack, dated from 1893. It gives ransackle as a (Obs. exc. north. dial.) variant of to ransack from 1621.

OED dates ramshakle from 1820 and ramshackled from 1675. Both have the same meaning. The first quotation for the latter reads:

1675 S. SEWALL Diary 31 July (1973) I. 12 A window which was all ranshacled.

It seems a variety of spellings have been used for several centuries.

Board footer