Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-08-16 00:15:22

patschwieterman
Administrator

"centergrade" for "centigrade"

I’m not sure about this one, but I was afraid “fairinheight” would get lonely without a mate. Perhaps the idea of being “centered” and therefore precise is at work here. As far as I know, Latin centum (“hundred”), which provides the “centi-” of “centigrade,” is not related to Latin centrum (“center”). (Calvert Watkins seems to agree.) No doubt many of these are just misspellings by speakers of non-rhotic dialects. 1600/207 raw/unique ghits. Examples:

What is the physical state of methane at minus 170 degrees centergrade?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 755AAiw3nV
[Hey! Don’t just go online to get your physics homework done! Read the textbook – that’s what it’s there for!! Sheesh.]

During the lamination and delamination process a temperature range of 100 degrees centergrade to 150 degrees centergrade for the drum and fuser is maintained.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0529399.html
[I’d like to thank the good folks at freepatentsonline.com for providing us with so much evidence over the years.]

If the temperature yesterday was 0 degrees centergrade; and the temperature today is twice as cold as it was yesterday. What would the temperature be today?
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-o6f57pEi … -?cq=1&p=2

#2 2008-08-16 08:50:18

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "centergrade" for "centigrade"

Yes, quite possibly “misspellings by speakers of non-rhotic dialects”. Also quite possibly accurate spellings by speakers of dialects with rhotic spreading of some sort. I can easily pronounce centigrade where the r sound starts before the g closes.

Not a striking eggcorn, but some re-imaging may be going on for some speakers.

That last one is a puzzler: what does “twice as cold” mean, anyway?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2008-08-16 09:16:15

rogerthat
Eggcornista

Re: "centergrade" for "centigrade"

Cool one, Pat. From ‘centergrade’, I get the image of a day with pleasant weather. Also, the median temperature in a moderate climate outside of the US comes to mind.

Board footer