Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-02-20 13:08:46

Seraph

"Midas well" for "Might as well"

I first saw this substitution on this T-shirt.

Now, the designer is obviously not a literary fellow (he/she also repeatedly misspelled “poison”), though perhaps the flaws were because of the rush to cash in on the current event in question. (Without its existing problems, though, this shirt would be wholly uninteresting. There are far wittier takes on the Cheney shooting to be found.)

Anyway, I decided to do a Google search on the phrase “midas well.” There were only 2,170 hits, and many of those were obvious puns or usages in other contexts than where “might as well” was intended, so this isn’t a widespread misuse. Unless someone can come up with some reasonable deriviation for “midas well,” I certainly don’t think it comes close to qualifying as an eggcorn.

Board footer