Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-09-02 14:57:14

kem
Eggcornista

starlit << starlet

The -let diminutive in English, which has given us words such as “piglet,” “eyelet,” and “booklet,” has tapered off slightly since its major expansion in eighteenth century. An exception to this lowered enthusiasm in -let diminutives is the word “starlet.” Once used to describe a small star in the sky, it now refers to a promising performer, either on stage on in the arena. The OED’s first citation for this metaphorical meaning of “starlet” is dated 1920. The COCA database of post-1990 English yields over 200 examples in its 360 million words.

On over a hundred different web sites we find the phrase “Hollywood starlit” or “movie starlit.” Examples:

Supermodel bio: “So in her short few years as a star, Eva Mendes has really exploded fast as a Hollywood starlit and on to modeling industry.” (http://www.supermodels-online.com/month … vasept.htm)

Web fiction: “Lisa looked like a classic Hollywood starlit and seemed very sweet. ” (http://www.literotica.com/stories/shows … ?id=368608)

News release on new web site: “Not only will you find information on Marilyn Monroe, but you will see the time and effort that was put forth for you to enjoy every detail of the Hollywood starlit. ” (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/10/prweb169930.htm)

A sermon: “No aspiring movie starlit was ever taken from such oblivion and raised to such a high place of importance in so short a time.” (http://www.fpchammond.org/S010720.htm)

Diminutives ending in the “-let” suffix are readily misspelled as “-lit.” You will find Christopher Robin’s friend “Piglit,” for example, mentioned on numerous web pages. For most of these let/lit confusions the eggcorn potential is low. “Starlit,” however, may have some claim to eggcorn status. The adjective “starlit,” made visible by star light, may be exercising some influence on this misspelling of “starlet.” A promising actor could be thought of as illuminated by the stars of destiny, or as a star basking in the spotlights of the theater.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2008-09-02 17:37:49

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: starlit << starlet

Is it possible that this trend is also somehow being influenced by the popular term chicklit?

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2008-09-03 11:04:39

nilep
Eggcornista

JonW719 wrote:

Is it possible that this trend is also somehow being influenced by the popular term chicklit?

I would guess—and it is only a guess—that to the extent starlit is eggcorn-like, the image is one of ‘light’ rather than ‘literature’.

Kem’s examples all use Hollywood starlit or movie starlit. I don’t think Hollywood is thought of as producing literature. Thus, while a ‘chick-flick’ may have the same target audience as ‘chick-lit’, they are distinct media.

Perhaps aspiring actors are illuminated by their association with established actors (movie stars), thus starlit?

Or it may just be a phonetic spelling, produced by people unfamiliar with the diminutive.

#4 2008-09-03 16:35:07

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

nilep wrote:

...it may just be a phonetic spelling, produced by people unfamiliar with the diminutive.

I think you’re right about that, nilep. My own example (actually an example that comes from the opposite direction—”starlet” for “starlit”) is from a song title on a record I have (“Ka Jakee Music” by Tri Atma, recorded in 1985). The song is called “Starlet Night”, and the lyrics give no indication that it was purposefully meant as a pun or any kind of reference to movie starlets. I think it was just a spelling confusion, perhaps partly due to the fact that the band is German.

Dixon

#5 2008-09-05 09:53:07

JonW719
Eggcornista

Yes, I also actually meant the spelling. I think what we are seeing is phonetic/ear spelling instead of any new meaning.

Feeling quite combobulated.

Board footer