Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-09-04 02:01:59

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"mustard" for "muster"

This one has probably been mentioned before, but I just now encountered it on a chat-list, so here it is: “An Op-ed by Mr. Brooks is not exactly a ‘peer reviewed article’ that would pass academic mustard…”.

Dixon

#2 2008-09-04 08:59:33

nilep
Eggcornista

Re: "mustard" for "muster"

Yes, it is in the Database, and has been brought up on the Forums twice.

#3 2008-09-04 09:01:44

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Yes, it’s a very funny mistake, and reasonably common. But do those who say it think of mustard and somehow make passing it come up meaning that you performed acceptably? I find that a tad hard to believe.

(Beggin everbody’s pardon:) “He thought his specimens wouldn’t cut the cheese, but they passed mustard with no problems.”

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2009-10-17 11:46:13

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I wonder whether ‘the mustard test’ is exerting any influence here. I’m not sure exactly what it is, but one of them can be used for assessing the potability of water, for example, and it’s frequently used, like ‘acid test’, in a general sense:

Alkaline chemical used in the mustard test is extremely hazardous. One drop of …... with mustard test. s . If you find indication of cyanide, ...
chemicaldragon.com/yahoo…/TM_3-6665-319-10.11212215.pdf

The difference is (1) Obama gave the money to charities (2) After exhaustive investigations, the real estate deal passed the mustard test. ...
ybpguide.com/.../a-ybp-facebook-debate-barack-vs-hillary-pt-1/ – Cached

If the latter usage comes from ‘passing muster’ then some are trying to reclaim it –

Your argument doesn’t cut the mustered test. The daughters friend was injured do to the negligence of government the greed of business and the criminal acts …
www.kpcnews.net/fence_post/showthread.php?t=2338… – Cached

Once you are stuck with Windows verification procedure, you are stuck, unless you pass the mustered test of a legit licence cheers . ...
www.notebookforums.com/thread222257-2.html – Cached

– but the mustered variant has only 6 ghits to mustard’s 297 so this seems unlikely. To summarise, I’ve no idea what’s going on.

Board footer