Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-09-29 21:09:17

ilpirata

"leads itself" < "lends itself"

So I heard my friend say this a couple days ago in conversation, I just did a search for it on google and came up with ~15000 hits, a lot of which were legitimate but a good number of which were instances of an eggcorn where the parent phrase is “lends itself.” I guess it’s a pretty convoluted/opaque construction, so it makes sense that people eggcornify it. Here are some examples.

“As a consequence, the proposed bag leads itself to be used in industrial applications”
“Golf is a game that leads itself to discussion as well as to competition, to team building as well as winning.”
“The format is very simple and leads itself to a single read-through or picking a page at random.”

#2 2008-09-29 22:10:01

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "leads itself" < "lends itself"

Arrr, il pirata, some fine fine eggcorrrns yer be a-findin’.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2008-09-30 16:28:34

ilpirata

Re: "leads itself" < "lends itself"

haha thanks, this is fun. i have given up any ambitions of becoming a linguist so i guess i’ll just be a linguistics geek on the side and post on forums like this :)

Board footer