Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-10-16 15:11:13

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'balled' for 'bald'

Though many examples will be spelling errors, I believe that some writing ‘balled’ for ‘bald’ may have in mind, whether consciously or no, something smooth, shiny and spherical like a billiard or pool ball. Bald heads, smooth, shiny and, roughly at least, spherical, could conceivably be seen as ‘balled’. “Balled head” yields 189 ughits and “balled headed” 163.

My first orchestra concert, I sat in the symphony, holding my bass, peering into that audience, looking for your shiny balled head. My first leading role in …
jptot.blogspot.com/2007/10/dear-jeff-aka-dad.html – 54k – Cached

14 Dec 2007 … Perhaps I don’t feel shame on my balled head because I am living in community where every second person is balled LOL – But whenever i go to …
www.digitaltalks.com/?p=48 – 17k – Cached

18 Jul 2007 … cojack was famous for his lolipops and he wasn’t a kid. hell he was a bad ass take no shit balled headed cop. ...
www.destructoid.com/jack-tretton-compar … 5617.phtml – 130k – Cached

By midnight I was perfectly intoxicated, most of us couldn’t bowl, and that shine top (balled headed man) was anxious to go find a girl at a bar. ...
www.ajarnforum.net/vb/the-virtual-pub/2 … rd-13.html – 142k – Cached

#2 2008-10-17 03:21:38

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'balled' for 'bald'

People argue over the etymology of “bald,” but there’s a pretty good likelihood that it started as a form of “balled.” The earliest citation, for instance, is from Chaucer’s description of the Monk in the General Prologue:

His heed was balled, that shoon as any glas [...].
[l. 198 in the Norton Anthology’s edition]

A number of other 14th and 15th C citations use the “balled/ballyd” spellings. Few moderns would know that, of course, but “balled” seems like a recovery of the etymological form.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2008-10-17 03:23:11)

#3 2008-10-17 10:45:56

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: 'balled' for 'bald'

Hmmm, I did check in both the online etymological dictionary and my Shorter Oxford and ‘bald’ and ‘ball’ seemed to have entirely different roots – I must invest in more rigorous reference material I suppose…

Board footer