Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-10-23 04:32:07

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"Pawn" for "palm", but NOT as in "palm off"

“Pawn off” for “palm off” has been mentioned on this site more than once, but here’s a substitution of “pawn” for “palm” in the sense of hiding an object in the palm of one’s hand:
“The prisoner had a handful of these vials in his possession when he was
arrested. It had been all to easy to pawn one as he checked in the
thief’s items.” (from a story on the Internet).

I don’t think it qualifies as an eggcorn, because I don’t see how the meaning could fit. I guess it’s just a substitution based on mishearing the word.

Dixon

#2 2008-10-23 09:43:08

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: "Pawn" for "palm", but NOT as in "palm off"

Maybe he did pawn it, in the sense of taking it to a pawn shop (depending on what the mysterious vials were)? Or perhaps, more loosely, in the sense of selling it to get cash from it?

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2008-10-23 15:45:02

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: "Pawn" for "palm", but NOT as in "palm off"

JonW719 wrote:

Maybe he did pawn it, in the sense of taking it to a pawn shop (depending on what the mysterious vials were)? Or perhaps, more loosely, in the sense of selling it to get cash from it?

The story makes it pretty clear that he didn’t. He threw it into the trash and that’s that. Anyway, the quote said ”...easy to pawn one as he checked the thief’s items”, and I think it’s safe to assume that doesn’t mean he sold it while still checking the thief’s items in the police station. So I don’t think we can make a case for eggcornicity on the basis of that presumed meaning.

Dixon

Board footer