Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2008-10-31 04:09:36

klakritz
Eggcornista

'fatal alcohol syndrome' for 'fetal alcohol syndrome'

I wouldn’t have supposed that ‘fetal’ is a particularly esoteric word, but this substitution occurs over 20,000 times:

The Broken Cord seats the tragedy of fatal alcohol syndrome squarely in our laps and forces us to take a look.
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/009121829090098P

What are the chances of my baby having fatal alcohol syndrome? I just found out today that I was 8 weeks pregnant but I have been drinking …
www.funadvice.com/q/what_are_the_chance … aby_having

Such was their commitment to these children whose condition of fatal alcohol syndrome (FAS) caused by the excessive drinking of women while there are …
www.polity.org.za/article.php?a_id=109032

Department of Pediatrics – The University of Oklahoma Health …
The Lip-Philtrum Guide is available in English and Russian translation at the Fatal Alcohol Syndrome Diagnostic & Prevention Network website .
devbehavpeds.ouhsc.edu/rfas-aucd.asp

There are a lot of long-term effects, but the most serious one is fatal alcohol syndrome, which is a disease caused when drinking during pregnancy.
www.freestudentedu.com/free_essays_id_887_Alcohol.php

#2 2008-11-02 05:21:27

kem
Eggcornista

Re: 'fatal alcohol syndrome' for 'fetal alcohol syndrome'

Good eggcorn.

There are also thousands of hits for “fatal position” in contexts that require “fetal position.” Another eggcorn, I think. The curled posture of the fetal position is one in in which people die while hunkering down to avoid a threat. Or one which people assume in order to avoid becoming a fatality.

Sample:

“Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fatal position. You should too in an earthquake, it is a natural safety/survival instinct.” (Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fatal position. You should too in an earthquake, it is a natural safety/survival instinct.)

Last edited by kem (2008-11-02 05:21:59)

Board footer