Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-10-30 23:09:36

klakritz
Eggcornista

'fatal alcohol syndrome' for 'fetal alcohol syndrome'

I wouldn’t have supposed that ‘fetal’ is a particularly esoteric word, but this substitution occurs over 20,000 times:

The Broken Cord seats the tragedy of fatal alcohol syndrome squarely in our laps and forces us to take a look.
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/009121829090098P

What are the chances of my baby having fatal alcohol syndrome? I just found out today that I was 8 weeks pregnant but I have been drinking …
www.funadvice.com/q/what_are_the_chance … aby_having

Such was their commitment to these children whose condition of fatal alcohol syndrome (FAS) caused by the excessive drinking of women while there are …
www.polity.org.za/article.php?a_id=109032

Department of Pediatrics – The University of Oklahoma Health …
The Lip-Philtrum Guide is available in English and Russian translation at the Fatal Alcohol Syndrome Diagnostic & Prevention Network website .
devbehavpeds.ouhsc.edu/rfas-aucd.asp

There are a lot of long-term effects, but the most serious one is fatal alcohol syndrome, which is a disease caused when drinking during pregnancy.
www.freestudentedu.com/free_essays_id_887_Alcohol.php

#2 2008-11-02 00:21:27

kem
Eggcornista

Re: 'fatal alcohol syndrome' for 'fetal alcohol syndrome'

Good eggcorn.

There are also thousands of hits for “fatal position” in contexts that require “fetal position.” Another eggcorn, I think. The curled posture of the fetal position is one in in which people die while hunkering down to avoid a threat. Or one which people assume in order to avoid becoming a fatality.

Sample:

“Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fatal position. You should too in an earthquake, it is a natural safety/survival instinct.” (Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fatal position. You should too in an earthquake, it is a natural safety/survival instinct.)

Last edited by kem (2008-11-02 00:21:59)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer