Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-10-31 22:03:19

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

smorgishboard

Understanding “board” for the last syllable of smorgasbord probably happened about as soon as Smörgåsbord became English. (The spelling smorgasboard gets about 145K ghits.) The notion of “food” of course is of course already associated with it, as in the phrase “room and board”, and the notion of the board being the table on which food is spread out is pretty standard, I think.

We’ve mentioned a couple of times cases where a particular suffix (or prefix) is erroneously perceived; _ -ish_ is such a case here. It makes smorg into an adjective, or perhaps a noun, perhaps meaning something like “varied/variety”.

[we offer a pool, board games, ping-pong:] a smorgishboard of fun out of the water ]

let me tell you that I have a smorgishboard of women any time I want them

White Squall Album – [ Traducir esta página ] This is the culmination of four years of playing together, and the CD is a delicious smorgishboard of our breadth and style. We recorded, mixed and mastered …

This place is a smorgishboard of kneeboarders, longboarders, beginners, groms and ocean goers of all sorts.

In addition, it’s kind of a French Impressionish smorgishboard, with Debussy’s “La Mer” and “Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun,” as well as …

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2008-11-02 00:10:13

kem
Eggcornista

Re: smorgishboard

Another almost-historical eggcorn that has escaped notice.

When I was in boy scouts, we used to make something called “smores.” It was a toasted marshmallow and a square of chocolate sandwiched between a pair of graham crackers. They were called “smores” because kids who ate them wanted “s’more.”

Could people be hearing this word in SmörgÃ¥sbord? S’more-gish-board, in other words?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2008-11-02 14:18:00

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Yeah, I remember smores. I wonder, too. But, (1) then you’re left with -gish to figure out the meaning of instead of smorg, and (2) a smorgasbord by definition has lots of things other than smores. If the etymology of s’more-s is active enough, I suppose it might work. But if it’s marshmallows and chocolate between graham crackers it seems less likely.

Which reminds me—gram crackers. Yeah, apparently it’s been reported.

#4 2008-11-02 17:50:12

patschwieterman
Administrator

I’m not sure I’d call “smorgishboard” an eggcorn—I doubt anyone has a sense of what “smorgish” might mean unless they’re already thinking of the concept denoted by “smorgasbord.” But in any case, there are a fair number of hits for “smorgous board” (which I also don’t consider an eggcorn).

#5 2008-11-02 19:29:16

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Neither smorgishboard or smorgous board are complete eggcorns, I will certainly agree. But in the substitution of _ -ish_ and _ -ous_ for the non-morphemic (in English) as , and in the substitution of board for bord , something eggcornish is happening: new structure/meaning/imagery, linked to specific morphemes, is being ascribed where neither the morphemes nor their meaning were previously.

Whatever, it’s an entertaining error, and borders on eggcornhood.

#6 2008-11-03 00:17:35

kem
Eggcornista

We’re quibbling about what sense can be made of the first half of the substitution, but the board/bord switch makes it a clear eggcorn, in my opinion. I sure that the first time I heard this word I heard “board” and thought of “room and board” and “board laden with food.” I didn’t even notice it wasn’t spelled “board” until later in life.

“Board” has a close association with (an abundance of) food. I remember a restaurant in Toronto that was called “the groaning board.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#7 2008-11-05 20:17:30

jorkel
Eggcornista

Let’s not overlook this older contribution:

“smorgous board” for “smorgasbord” by edblncrt Contribute! 0 2005-10-28 11:19:00 by edblncrt

Board footer