Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-11-01 08:57:44

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

slow-relief = slow-release

Medication is intended to bring relief from sickness, and having that relief come slowly is not normally seen as a positive thing. However, overdoses of medication can have negative effects, and many medications are best administered in small doses over time rather than in a single large dose. Medication that is prepared so as to release its active ingredient(s) gradually, over a period of time, is called “slow-release” medication. Some people apparently confuse this notion with that of slow relief:

slow-relief crabicide [slow-release crabgrass killer]

While on the other hand, slow- relief capsules spread the medicine into one’s organism during a long period of time, that goes on for about 8 to 12 hours. .

For slow relief,. especially for nocturnal paroxysms, I. find the stock capsules of ephedrine 3/8. gr. with amytal 8/1 gr.

Harmon Slow Relief Iron 50 Mg 30 Tablets · Harmon Natural Selenium 200mcg 100 Tablets … Nature’s Bounty Easy Iron 28 Mg 90 Capsules

Symptoms · Switching from Cortef to generic hydrocortisone. sunken looking eyes · Stress … Thread Profile: Tried on Slow relief hydrocortisone

He is on oral slow relief morphine, steroids and an anti-emetic drug.

This one is confusing enough that I am not sure that all the above listed examples are mistakes at all. E.g. “slow relief morphine” may indeed be morphine that is administered at such a low dosage that the patient will experience relief only slowly, since a higher dosage intended to bring immediate relief would be dangerous. Anyone with enough medical experience to know?
In any case, some of those listed (including the first, which my sister reported hearing on the radio) seem pretty clear.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2008-11-02 00:30:18

kem
Eggcornista

Re: slow-relief = slow-release

Looks to me like an eggcorn. The trigger in this case is switching the focus from the instrument, the pill, to the effect the instrument produces.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2008-11-02 17:55:03

patschwieterman
Administrator

Well, I guess there’s a chance it’s a technical term (Hey, Ken, you out there somewhere?), but I doubt it. I agree with Kem—I suspect it’s eggcornish, and a pretty great find.

#4 2008-11-04 16:35:55

jorkel
Eggcornista

I give this one the thumbs up as an eggcorn. It has a very natural, uncontrived feel to it.

Along the same lines, I wondered whether “quick relief valve” might be an eggcorn of “quick release valve”, but I can’t determine whether both terms are legitimate in their own right.

Last edited by jorkel (2008-11-04 16:46:30)

Board footer