Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-11-11 12:41:10

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'lamb basted' for 'lambasted'

The original here has been bashed and landblasted on this site before, but any change of imagery is, I think, a fresh eggcorn. I suspect that the notion of ‘roasting’ in the sense of criticism or subjecting to ridicule may lie behind this variant:

I will probably get lamb basted for this but here goes. How long will it be before the Chargers Bail out of Qualcomm Stadium aka San Diego Jack Murphy …

I was lamb-basted a couple of times, and called an over-protective mommy (that was the kindest). You do have to watch what you say, because there is a lot …

However when I ask questions I have come to expect to get “lamb basted” by some. As long as the poster also provides good technical data….lamb baste away. ...

and something that will get you lamb-basted like a roasted pig. You’re never quite sure what will make people feel compelled to stumble, ...

There’s a good few too without the space…

If I had given it to him to read he would have rightfully felt insulted at the authors attempts to be funny as she lambbasted fathers. ...

The second ‘a’ for some speakers is a short one, resulting in yet another variant, ’ lambastard’ –

This is a class that had previously been lambastard for their lack of a ‘good work ethic’. This sidelining of a critical group to the programs philosophy …

Hush your mouth there, I would get lambastard , tarred and feathered in Derbyshire for coming out with a comment like that. ...

Board footer