Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-11-24 12:21:19

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

a might Adjective << mite

She’s thirteen, which is a might old for a best friend.

giving up those points to Steve Spurrier’s Gators or Florida State is a might different than Indiana and Clemson

This trip I was trying to come up with something a might different, when low and behold! They now have a section called “weight management”

It seems a might difficult to find tires for a motorcycle.

Sorry I was a might long winded

(Actually, it’s more like I’m about to be:)

The noun “mite” in this kind of context, like its synonyms “tad” and “(little) bit”, means that the adjectival quality is present in a noticeable but not necessarily disqualifyingly large degree. I.e. the subject is quite a bit Adjective but not necessarily a whole lot.

There is a colloquial usage of “mighty”, perhaps for us pedants a shortened form of “mightily” (or even a mildly sacrilegious “Almight(il)y”), as an intensifier more or less equivalent to `very’. This, not so rarely, no doubt often by typo but possibly as a kind of eggcornish malaprop, gets shortened to “might”. E.g.

i must say it looks might good

(245 ghits on “looks might good”, and of course there are many more similar structures.)

Sometimes then this “might” << “mighty” shows up in the context “a might Adj N”:

I noticed that it took a might long time to load my SCSI drivers

The same structure without the noun will be homophonous with “a mite Adj”, and can help give rise to the eggcorn.

The following case is interesting:

love the mandolin at the start..and the fiddle..its pretty but a might long intro though..pretty harmonies..love the melody..the lyrics are very meaningful

This you can parse as “it’s pretty but has a mighty long intro” or “it’s pretty but has an intro that’s a mite/might long”, i.e. “a mite-long intro”.

In any case, “a mite Adj” ought to mean a kind of opposite to “a might(y lot) Adj”; the first minimizes while the other exaggerates the quality of the Adj. Yet the eggcorn works for me, because “a mite/tad/bit Adj” is so often used litotically, pretending to say something is “just a bit” Adj when in fact you would maintain that it is “quite a bit” Adj. Coming from the other direction, “mighty” is very often used in overt and conscious, mildly humorous exaggeration—it is not as strong an intensifier as, say, “terribly” or “aw(e)fully”, and even they are awfully likely to be used when the quality isn’t terribly strong. Thus both “mite” and “might(y)” wind up being used as vaguely colorful adverbial expressions denoting a notable degree of the quality denoted by the adjective. They both fit a very large number of the same cases.

p.s. Is “low and behold” an eggcorn? It is standard for some, but I don’t get the reasonable imagery for it.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-11-24 12:37:03)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2008-11-24 19:32:56

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: a might Adjective << mite

DavidTuggy wrote:

bq. She’s thirteen, which is a might old for a best friend.

giving up those points to Steve Spurrier’s Gators or Florida State is a might different than Indiana and Clemson

This trip I was trying to come up with something a might different, when low and behold They now have a section called “weight management”

It seems a might difficult to find tires for a motorcycle.

Sorry I was a might long winded

The noun “mite” in this kind of context…

Well, “a might” or “a mite” seems more like an adverb than a noun to me, since it modifies an adjective. Is there a grammatical term for a noun used as an adverb, like we have the term “gerund” for a verb used as a noun?

Dixon

Last edited by Dixon Wragg (2017-04-08 17:39:37)

#3 2008-11-24 20:01:23

JonW719
Eggcornista

Actually, I was struck by “low and behold” in the third quote. Is this somewhere in the database or forum? “Lo” is lost now; but what does “low” mean in this context?

Feeling quite combobulated.

#4 2008-11-24 20:05:19

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

JonW719 wrote:

Actually, I was struck by “low and behold” in the third quote. Is this somewhere in the database or forum? “Lo” is lost now; but what does “low” mean in this context?

Nothing plausible that I can think of, so it doesn’t qualify as an eggcorn. Unless someone comes up with a reasonable meaning connection I haven’t thought of…

Dixon

#5 2008-11-24 20:52:33

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

As far as I know, “low and behold“ is just substituting a familiar-but-incomprehensible-in-context word for an unfamiliar-and-incomprehensible-in-context word. Not an eggcorn. But it is a reasonably common and apparently standard-for-some error.

I have also collected all of the following: below and behold, lone behold, long and behold, lo to my surprise, low these many years, lo and behold did I realize, alone behold . Might be something eggcornish in there somewhere, but not clearly so. Maybe “lone behold” and “alone behold” have the idea that the beheld (beholden?!?) thing is out separate from other things and thus more notable? Lacking a confession, I doubt it.

I think I once heard “below and hold”, but have not been able to document it.

btw, Dixon, I like your new word, “abverb”. That one I could make sense of, I think! (Not so new—2240 ghits!) But it’s probably more phonological (assimilation of point of articulation) than a change of semantic imagery.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-11-24 21:18:35)

#6 2008-11-24 22:43:17

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

btw, Dixon, I like your new word, “abverb”.

D’oh!

#7 2017-04-08 13:09:03

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Recently run across:

using your saddle for a pillow?” ¶ “I mostly use my saddlebag, as it’s a might softer.”

our girls are just a might too young to understand what is happening

His nose was a might too large for handsome, but his soft brown eyes did much to make up the fault.

The lad sat up a might taller and nodded most seriously.

It strikes me that perhaps the expression “a sight more Adj/Adv” is quite possibly being blended in here somewhere, if only orthographically. Or perhaps “might(y)” is taken as “almost, a little bit from certainly/exactly/truly”.

Board footer