Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-11-25 18:14:53

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

about from << apart from

I just ran into this:

If you like Schumer are excited about all that spending, I trust you must be a contractor with the government, because about from a welfare check, no one else will see any money for years to come.

I’m pretty sure I have heard this as well. It’s not easy to search for on the Internet.

(1) Can any of you find other examples?

(2) Can you make sense of the imagery?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2008-11-26 08:59:58

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: about from << apart from

DavidTuggy wrote:

I just ran into this:
If you like Schumer are excited about all that spending, I trust you must be a contractor with the government, because about from a welfare check, no one else will see any money for years to come.
I’m pretty sure I have heard this as well. It’s not easy to search for on the Internet.
(1) Can any of you find other examples?

Nope. I perused the first 5 pages I got by googling “about from”, and none of the entries was the “eggcornish” version you allude to. That suggests to me that it’s very rare. I’ve certainly never heard of it.

(2) Can you make sense of the imagery?

Nope. And because of that, I don’t think it’s an eggcorn. Just an error based on a mishearing.

Dixon

#3 2008-11-27 02:42:20

nilep
Eggcornista

How about these:

who love Bond and all those who’ve ever sailed within her, or in her, or Onatopp of her. Fuck that. Not interesting. I promise: no crappy Onatopp style puns (about from that one);
http://filmjournal.net/robertsharp/2008 … ng-bang-1/

I have a fear of a certain type of pub, the type that tends to survive on the patronage of old men leaning on the bar, but snuck in, made no eye contact with anyone about from the girl behind the bar, ignoring the three boys huddled by the fruit machine, the two old men with red noses drinking cloudy pints,
http://markolver.com/news.php?id=40

Do you know any anime about Egypt?
i don’t know any about from yu-gi-oh forgive me
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in … 419AAkA6Ty

Create new UniToolbar,some property “ItemCaption”,”ItemKey”,... Replaces to new Property “Buttons”
(any about from ToolbarButton in property “Buttons”).Can update from old version but you needs fix some codes.See any more in the Help file
http://www.caulacbovb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22

That last one, at least, seems to be from a non-English speaker.

It seems pretty rare, though there may be more out there that we haven’t found.

As to the imagery: I wonder if about in the sense of in the area of or close to comes into it?

#4 2008-11-27 08:24:28

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

You’re a wonder, Chad. How did you find them? Just dogged persistence in slogging through Google results, or did you set up some sort of a filter to increase the concentration?

Yes, there has to be something in the area of or close to what you suggest. Gotta mull on it some more. (Peter Forster style, I reckon—Happy Thanksgiving to you all!)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2008-11-28 02:36:43

nilep
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

Just dogged persistence in slogging through Google results, or did you set up some sort of a filter to increase the concentration?

A bit of both, I guess. I increased the length of the search strings to get fewer hits (usually a few dozen), then scanned through a whole lot of not-right hits to find these.

The search terms I used were essentially variations on:
(any/none/anything/nothing/anyone/no one) about from (that/those/him/her)

It would be much easier if there were some sort of “within N words” limiter, such as that available in many corpus concordancing packages, but I don’t know of any corpus that is as rich in informal / less edited material as one finds via Google. Such a tool might be especially useful for weeding out the huge number of learned about, heard about etc. false-positives.

Board footer