Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-11-28 14:44:45

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

woodpecker for nutcracker

This one has me scratching my head a bit.
My daughter was unpacking Christmas decorations with her kids. They have a couple of those beautiful wooden Russian-style nutcrackers, the ones that look like a deranged military officer that opens his jaws and bites down on the nut.
She caught herself thinking of them repeatedly and once calling them woodpeckers. Something like (she didn’t remember exactly and I don’t remember exactly what she said) “Why don’t you get the woodpeckers out of their boxes.”
Why does this substitution seem so natural? (Or does it to you?) If she’d called them flyswatters that wouldn’t seem natural at all, for instance. So it probably isn’t just a bare “activate an Object-Verber noun” that was in her mental search program, though that may have been a part of it.
Is it just that they are wooden and so an instruction to “activate a wood-Verber noun” got started? They are very thoroughly painted and enameled, and their wooden-ness is actually not a very salient property to me, though I know they are made of wood.
Would “nailbiters” have worked as well?
Think I’ll stop wringing my nails over this, get with the season and listen to some Tchaikovsky. Woodpecker Suite, anyone?

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2008-11-28 15:02:07

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: woodpecker for nutcracker

Feels pretty natural to me. Of course, as I’ve confessed before, I’m capable of some pretty astonishing off-the-cuff substitutions. (Particularly embarrassing in front of a class….) But this one has a number of triggers. First there’s the fact that both are compounds of the one syllable word + two syllable word variety. And then they both end in “Vcker.” And then there’s the fact that nuts are indeed made of a woody material. And finally both woodpeckers and nutcrackers are breaking up wood-like surfaces. What you got here is a nexus of structural, phonological and semantic analogies, even if some of them are a bit distant. I don’t think I’ve ever perpetrated this one, but it’s well within the range of my subconscious’s spontaneous effusions.

I wouldn’t wrangle my hands about it.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2008-11-28 15:11:03)

#3 2008-11-28 19:43:56

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Suddenly strikes me that nutcracker would be a crackerjack name for a bird. There are nuthatches , and birds do crack snails and things (bugs too, I expect) when they eat them.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-11-28 19:46:01)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2008-11-30 01:35:21

edcrater

All this about birds reminds me of someone who called the bird “wheatear” by the name “wheateater”. I suppose it was logical as the bird might have eaten seeds!

Board footer