Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-12-18 11:53:56

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

tipping the iceberg (etc.)

you can do, have or be anything. We live in a world where the possibilities are infinite. I believe we are just tipping the iceberg of understanding our capabilities and in the years to come more and more people will be deliberately and consciously choosing to create and attract their best life.

[complex list: you must] work these levels into each individual household and business budget. ¶ Above is just tipping the iceberg, call or email us and we can discuss the above in much greater detail with you.

If you ask me if i am sad.. You wouldn’t even be tipping the iceberg, Okay? There’s not a single person on this earth that I can tell everything.

“We’re just tipping the iceberg,” said Mary Crea, a bereavement counselor with the Wave Riders Program. ¶ Statistics show that one children in every seven will experience the death of an immediate family member by the age of 10.

These faces and things don’t even come close to tipping the iceberg of all the people I could post about.

This isn’t an (or isn’t a very good) eggcorn. It feels blendish to me, though it’s by no means such a clear blend as the related “just scratching the tip of the iceberg”.
I’m mullitating on the imagery of the thing: is the iceberg on land, nicely balanced, but when I push or weight it a little more I tip it over to another equilibrial status, moving it past a tipping point? Or is it in the water, but so nearly round that one can similarly shift its orientation? The usage that this kind of image seems to fit best is the last one, where you don’t come close to actually tipping it, since it actually might be a rather disastrous thing if you were to succeed.
Or is it like tipping cows, where it can be rather fun for you, though less so for the cow/iceberg?
Yet the implication in most of the usages is that the tipping, whether actually accomplished or not —and it often is—, is not a very big deal. Do they mean “rocking the iceberg” (a mild form of tipping it?)? Is tipping an iceberg like topping a tree? or topping a rise? Does it somehow mean “see the tip”, or “handle/deal with the tip”? I can’t very well be paying it money for having served me well, can I?
It’s another of those cases where, you might say, there is more going on than meets the surface.
You might check out the series of related bloopers newly up at
http://www.sil.org/~tuggyd/ForFun/Bloop … ceberg.htm

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-12-18 18:57:24)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2008-12-18 21:27:40

nilep
Eggcornista

Re: tipping the iceberg (etc.)

There is something about this that is like a blend within a blend (a double-blend?).

In terms of surface form, you have tip of the iceberg plus maybe tipping point or tipping the scales, yet neither of those cliches / idioms seem to contribute to the meaning.

In terms of meaning, the examples seem to suggest “scratching the surface,” which I think is fairly similar to seeing the “tip of the iceberg.”

Perhaps the tipping idioms don’t come into it at all. Maybe it’s just the -ing from scratching the surface that shifts the nominal tip of the iceberg to an action/activity sense?

#3 2008-12-19 07:22:38

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Those sound like as reasonable explanations as any, Chad.
“Tipping the scales” was (I think) what I was scratching for in my brain when talking about how “not even tipping the iceberg” meant not even doing something relatively small. Thanks for tipping (or is it scratching?) the camel’s back there.
So when you (just barely) tip the scales at 300 pounds, is the image of a balance scale whose long arm you barely cause to move up? (I think that’s it for me.) Or is that last pound just the tip of the enormous mass the scale reveals? or what?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-12-19 16:45:41)

#4 2008-12-19 10:14:08

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

There seems to be some game called Clubpenguin where the objective, or one of them, is to tip the iceberg and it may be that for some game-playing people, ‘tipping the iceberg’ is a clear and obvious idiomatic expression. There’s also a puzzling number of ‘tip the iceberg’ ghits where the sense is clearly ‘tip of the iceberg’ and having just inveigled a few folk into using the expression I find that my tiny sample all use ‘tip o’ the iceberg’ which I suppose could be heard as ‘tip the iceberg’:

But the two projects, both under construction and expected to open late next year, may be only the tip the iceberg. Developers are showing an interest in …

The inflationary effects of malpractice litigations are real; The multi-million dollars verdicts are the tip the iceberg; Defensive medicine is a more …

For those that miss the ‘of’, tipping the iceberg may simply mean noticing that tip, becoming aware of it?
Before I peter (sick) out completely I must note that, with reference to the recent ‘petty Annie’ post, there are a couple of hits for ‘Tipper the Iceberg!’
Oh, and fearlessly facing what it may mean to tip, 10 years ago there was a novel then a TV series on lesbian love called, ‘Tipping the Velvet’, which apparently was a slang Victorian term for cunnilingus.

#5 2008-12-19 15:58:46

patschwieterman
Administrator

I’ve noticed in reading student papers that some small words are accidentally omitted more often than others by people who are typing/proofreading fast—I’d say the top 5 are a/an, of, the, to, and forms of “to be.” So “tip the iceberg” in Peter’s last post may just be examples of that. (Typing that last sentence, I at first omitted “in.” Maybe that should be on my list….)

#6 2008-12-19 16:26:04

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I mentioned in another recent post (on Handcock ) the pronunciation sumpthing as likely arising from a phonological transition phenomenon, specifically a failure to precisely coordinate two different articulatory changes. There a transition from m to th ([ÆŸ]) is pronounced and thus perceived as having a bilabial stop between bilabial and dental consonants.
The loss of of in tip’vthe iceberg may well be similar, though kind of backwards. Here you start with a transition from a bilabial past a schwa to a (voiced) labiodental to a dental. If you reduce the schwa till of consists of just its final v sound (which we regularly do with of like we do with have ), you get a p-v-th sequence.
This will easily sound like a p-th transition in which you loosen up the p just a little early (concomitantly jumpstarting the intended voicing by the resultant drop in oral pressure), before the tongue is quite in place for the th ([ð]). If it is heard so, it will sound like the intended target was “tip the iceberg” rather than “tip of the iceberg”.
This would be mondegrenous (in the wider definition of that term); the hearer perceiving a structure that the speaker did not intend and did not really pronounce. To the extent that “tip the iceberg” makes sense, and different sense than “tip of the iceberg”, it would be eggcornish. But it is not a very good or clear example of one.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-12-19 16:49:13)

#7 2008-12-19 21:39:01

patschwieterman
Administrator

I bet that virtually all American economics professors and virtually all journalists who write for financial newspapers (the sources of Peter’s 2 egs.) are quite familiar with the standard version of the phrase “the tip of the iceberg”—it’s a hoary cliche in writing on financial topics. So this is almost certainly an instance of the accidental omission of a word. (Heck, we could always try emailing the professor—but I’m pretty sure I know what he’ll say.) But if you’re not kidding, then you’ve just won the 2008 Eggcorn Forum Award for Developing a Highly Complex and Erudite Solution to a Very Simple Problem. (It’s also called the “Rude Goldberg Award” in certain circles.)

Last edited by patschwieterman (2008-12-19 21:45:11)

#8 2008-12-20 00:10:13

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

OK, I know what you mean. But what we think is simple often turns out when you analyze it closely, to not be so simple.
Ever try to think what it takes to chew? Think about how badly you can bite your tongue when it is only slightly swollen, or if your teeth get changed just a bit from what your mouth is used to, how you move your tongue to move the food around to chew, how close it constantly comes to your teeth without getting bitten—and pretty much all unconsciously done.
The articulatory movements of speech are at least as complex. The fact that you can describe something as simply as “chew your food” or “drop a little word out” doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot of complexity there.
But, I was thinking of these as spoken language. Yes, if they are typing omissions, that is certainly a different matter; i.e. different (and likely lesser) complexities are involved. And you are probably right that these are errors that the perps would recognize as such, so not worth trying as hard to understand as if they were standard.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-12-20 00:13:35)

#9 2008-12-20 00:13:25

nilep
Eggcornista

patschwieterman wrote:

But if you’re not kidding, then you’ve just won the 2008 Eggcorn Forum Award for Developing a Highly Complex and Erudite Solution to a Very Simple Problem. (It’s also called the “Rude Goldberg Award” in certain circles.)

To be sure, the explanation sounds more complex and Goldberg-ian than the actual phonetic process, which could be paraphrased as “that little ‘of’ gets lost.” It’s sort of an articulatory / auditory parallel to Pat’s (orthographic) accidental omissions observation.

EDIT:
Oh, I see I’ve overlapped David’s response. Then let me just add, “Me too!”

Last edited by nilep (2008-12-20 00:16:37)

#10 2008-12-20 01:32:56

patschwieterman
Administrator

I once took a semester-long course on the pathways by which nutrients pass through the walls of plant cells. No one’s needed to lecture me on the complexity of apparently simple processes ever since. But nevertheless, when a financial reporter writing a newspaper article leaves out “of” in “the tip of the iceberg,” I think figuring out what most likely happened is pretty simple. And I doubt it has anything to do with drops in oral pressure.

I don’t think I’m being merely flip here. In the last year or so, we seem to have developed a tendency to favor razzle-dazzle over likelihood when trying to explain the phenomena we come across.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2008-12-20 01:39:51)

#11 2008-12-20 07:59:18

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

OK. I’m not being flip either. I agree that the (un?)written omission is not caused by a drop in oral air pressure. But the drop in oral air pressure is certainly a factor in bringing on voicing (either that or an increase in subglottal pressure is absolutely necessary for it), and the (un?)spoken omission is very likely to involve a timing mismatch of the type I tried to describe. If “tip the tongue* is standard for anybody, it likely would come through such a spoken omission becoming standard.
I apologize for making it too complex to be useful in this forum, however.

#12 2008-12-20 10:46:26

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Another example similar to “tip the iceberg”:

Top the morning to you all,. I am helping out a co−worker with a Oracle issue.

Well Top the Morning to you ALL

Only those two exx. googled up.

#13 2008-12-21 12:16:16

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

The ‘tip the iceberg’ examples I chose were lazily selected from the first few on the page and there are over 40 others, few of which are from ‘professional’ sources, and although I’m happy to accept they may be no more than accidental omissions I had wondered whether younger, game-playing users may have unwittingly supplanted the standard expression for one which, for them, was more relevant/meaningful.
Since I’m often one of those who serve odd balls which, rather than be left to moulder in the long grass, are usually obligingly and endearingly fielded by my colleagues on the forum, I have to say I always appreciate such responses, even when I feel a strabismus coming on and my attention-deficit warning lights get uncomfortably hot.
I’d tried ‘top the morning’ too, and found a few more than David did…

Top the morning ye scurvy dog!” Her: <blank stare, increase of pace>. Punter 2. Him: “What are you doing?” Me: “The question be, what ain’t I doing ?” ...

top the morning to yea me owl flower bit lovin for u. 41 weeks ago; Suzanne F luv Suzanne F. what you doin online :L hows things you nutter have some luv …

Top the morning to ya and how are ya!!! patty o’ furniture you’re missus was’nt saying that last time but bhoy she really did show me her lucky charms she …

Top the Morning to Everyone:. I’ve got a relatively simple question; I can not seem to find the answer in any of the texts I have on interactions (e.g., ...

Top the morning, We got the container done, thanks for everyone’s help in getting that done. I am off for Honduras on the 26th. You can reach me or leave a …

I’ll give it top the morning. This happened outta nowhere! I can surf now. Off and on. about 17 hours ago from twitterrific in reply to iKitty …

Board footer