Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-01-23 10:25:53

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

full pantic mode

I’m a bridesmaid for a friend whose wedding is less than 2 weeks away and she just fired her caterer!Do you know of any good ones in the Denver area? Hopefully they can do it on short notice and help my bride from launching into full pantic mode!

(“My bride”, the bridesmaid calls her. That’s interesting, too.)

to keep her temp down..any suggestions would be helpful..And I do plan on taking her back tomorrow if it doesnt go down from 103. Im just in a pantic.

When the brakes are applied in a pantic situation one of the rear wheels will lock up along with one of the front wheels, throwing the vehicle into a spin

Hello, I am in a pantic. I am to have mini facelift and eyelifts Nov. 14

The teachers are in a pantic trying to finish teaching everything.

I get on the highway and drive it seems like when a car gets near me or in in back of me or side of me I seem to pantic it seem like I shall hit them

Panticking,Cafe tried to escape without success.In desperation a picked up and slammed Moriera to the met

The scout screamed, skunk panticked and sprayed getting the sleeping bag but missing the scout. The scout had managed to dunk back under the covers before …

Few of us think of Pan, these days, as having anything to do with panicking. But of course a salient aspect of panic is a feeling of breathlessness —you use up more oxygen than your physical activity would necessarily warrant, and you are prone to engage erratically in unnecessary physical activity, which makes it worse. This is likely to manifest itself in panting—so panting becomes a salient overt indicator of being in a pan(t)ic.
The – ic suffix is rejuvenated if not perceived de novo —many speakers probably don’t have it any more firmly connected to panic than to frantic , for instance, or to picnic , for that matter). It fits especially well with the adjectival usages of the word. The nominal and verbal usages can then be seen as (perfectly normal) derivations from an adjectival sense.
The idea of a blend between panic and frantic (and/or erratic , traumatic and perhaps others) should not be discounted. But it needn’t deny that this could still be a perfectly good eggcorn.
Anyway, I was delighted to find this one.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-01-23 10:27:20)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2009-01-23 10:37:22

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: full pantic mode

I’m reminded of the idiom “get [one’s] panties in a twist” as well…
The blend of panic and frantic made me wonder if “franic” would be common, and it is, somewhat. The spelling “franic,” where the “t” is removed, is probably influenced by pronunciation but may also result from the same blend that creates “pantic.” (It’s somewhat hard to search for because “Franic” seems to be a fairly common surname. Who knew?)

Kite4Girls 2006 Key Biscayne FloridaWith three more INCOMING, the pace is franic as they now clearly understand that they, and that yellow kayak is the target. ...
www.key-biscayne.com/keybiscayne/kitesf … ls06.shtml – 10k – Cached – Similar pages

My bet is on Hillary for VP (Bush, John Kerry, Al Gore …he has had all summer to gain her supporters, it is a no go he is franic, he knows without her, he is down for the count. [+] Rate this post positively …
www.city-data.com/forum/elections/41227 … vp-3.html 132k – Cached – Similar pages

MySpace.com Blogs – I Chased the Mailman for Blocks just for a KEY …This thing is franic trying to jump up the wall, climb up the wall, etc…so I go outside and take off the mesh thing and plastic lid and think he will get …
blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=19517384 – 79k – Cached – Similar pages

GarageBand.com : all reviews for Blue Lady by Dream AriaThe mood is franic. The vocals are good and fit the song. The performance is good. This is not my thing, but you did a nice job. The melody does stick with …
www.garageband.com/song/reviews.html?%7 … aSkZFa1ZWo – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

And here is an example where a songwriter used “franic” and “panic” in the same line:

Videoclip Sick Ass Krayzie Bone Flow. Videoclipuri. Videos …... ran upstairs I was franic in panic But I managed to make it to the top, to my artillery shop I was runnin, but I could hear the souljah’s comin I don’t …
www.portal-info.ro/video/videoclip-sick … 82238.html – 28k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by JonW719 (2009-01-23 10:45:55)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2009-01-23 10:52:43

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

JonW719 wrote:

I’m reminded of the idiom “get [one’s] panties in a twist” as well… ¶ The blend of panic and frantic made me wonder if “franic” would be common, and it is, somewhat. The spelling “franic,” where the “t” is removed, is probably influenced by pronunciation but may also result from the same blend that creates “pantic.” (It’s somewhat hard to search for because “Franic” seems to be a fairly common surname. Who knew?)

So is “Pantic”. I didn’t know!

#4 2009-01-23 11:56:44

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

btw, Kem, were Pan in panic (and Jove in jovial, Mars in martial, Mercury in mercurial, etc.) not proper names and, ifso facto , semanticaly empty? (Not a fair question, perhaps.)

#5 2009-01-23 13:22:51

kem
Eggcornista

Pantic. One of your best finds.

[W]ere Pan in panic (and Jove in jovial, Mars in martial, Mercury in mercurial, etc.) not proper names and, ifso facto , semantically empty?

What? Are you trying to jack your own thread? You’re in danger of turning “tuggy” into an adjective that means “veer off topic.”

But to answer the question, No. Proper names get commonalized all the time. If, as some think, the names of the gods are deomorphs for qualities, then they do no more than complete the round trip when they collapse into adjectives.

Add to your list the presence of Venus in veneral, Saturn in saturnine, and the moon in lunatic. Polytheism was a rich fount of words, wasn’t it. C. S. Lewis, who you mentioned earlier, was deeply conflicted by this issue. In his head he was a monotheist, but his heart lusted after the Greek gods.

Last edited by kem (2009-01-23 13:24:06)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#6 2009-01-23 14:06:22

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Well then, to get off the tangent and tuggy the waters a bit more— btw, a recent proposal that surprised me by how well it works, links the 7 Chronicles of Narnia to the 7 spheres of medieval cosmology: the Lion W&W to Jupiter, Dawn Treader to the Sun, Caspian to Mars, etc. Reduced the otherwise jarring “hodge-podginess” of the series, to my mind, and wouldn’t surprise me at all if CSL had intended it, and also intended not to make it overt. (The Magician’s Nephew is [in genereal ?] the “veneral” book in the series. and btw, you no doubt play the game of venery, as in An Exaltation of Larks , right?)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-01-23 16:14:03)

#7 2009-01-23 20:51:40

patschwieterman
Administrator

“Mantic depressive” also produces a couple dozen unique hits. I imagine both “frantic” and, say, “praying mantis” have a role in this one, but I can’t find a way to make it convincingly eggcorneal.

David Tuggy, you write something along these lines kind of obsessively these days:

The idea of a blend between panic and frantic (and/or erratic , traumatic and perhaps others) should not be discounted. But it needn’t deny that this could still be a perfectly good eggcorn.

Who are you arguing with? I hope it’s not me—I’ve expressed skepticism about the eggcornicity of most Cutting/Bock-type idiom blends, but not about this sort of thing. I’ve posted a few myself.

#8 2009-01-23 23:42:15

kem
Eggcornista

Pat, couldn’t the “mantic” in “mantic depressive” simply be the word “mantic” (=prophetic)?

David, I’m not sure that the “venery” that James Lipton uses in his book is related to the word “venus.” A different “venery,” I think.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#9 2009-01-24 00:34:10

patschwieterman
Administrator

Kem wrote:

Pat, couldn’t the “mantic” in “mantic depressive” simply be the word “mantic” (=prophetic)?

I think mantic is just too obscure—people who haven’t read widely in say Classics, anthropology, or religious studies probably wouldn’t have encountered it. And none of my little desk dictionaries (AHD, Oxford, etc.) even lists it as a word.

#10 2009-01-24 03:20:07

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

A little disgusting I guess, but when I read this thread title before reading the thread I was trying to figure out what could be meant by pantic – and panting didn’t occur to me. The only image I could come up with from “full pantic” was full pants… as if the person had had the crap scared out of them.

#11 2009-01-24 09:06:15

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Kem—Lipton suggests (if I remember correctly—don’t have the book with me) that the name reflects the nature of the game, and the word should suggest both kinds of pursuit, especially given that many double-entendres have a sexual meaning.
Pat, not arguing with anybody particularly. Sorry to seem obsessive. It just seems to me an important point.
Craig, yes, disgusting, but isn’t it wonderful how the same words can prompt such bizarrely different construals and yet both make sense?

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-01-24 09:07:03)

#12 2009-01-24 20:03:21

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Jon gave a bunch of examples where franic occurs as an adjective, instead of frantic . It also occurs as a noun, in place of panic .

The screen plays were called but either LT was knocked down or River in a franic threw it away

[re mashed potatoes] She was preparing supper and was in a franic because she thought she had ruined the pot. just by boiling them and she didn’t have anymore to make!

My water heater started leaking into my home yesterday. In a franic, I started calling plumbing companies in the area.

Two different blends of frantic and panic , I would judge, besides the one that probably produces some cases of pantic . You can also think of these examples as blends of “in a panic” with “feeling frantic” with likely influence from “feeling panicky” and “(a) feeling (of) panic”.

Board footer