Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-01-30 22:17:32

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

slewn = strewn and slewn = slain

It amazed me how common these two are. These are just a few examples of many.

While his skin turns pale as snow. butchered he lies here bleeding in my arms. slewn by the men of the single god. hatred burns in my chest.

The Bible tells us that Samson slew a thousand Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Shamefully, ten times that many customers are slewn every day by the same instrument.

In the ensuing battle, Elendil was slewn and Isildur bore up his father’s broken sword Narsil to cut the One Ring from Sauron’s finger, thus vanquishing him

Probably this usage ( slewn = slain ) is from people remembering it isn’t slayed but an -n form, and also remembering slew . ( Slayed is also very common fwtw.)
The next one is probably a blend of strewn , slung , and in some cases likely spewed .

It normally ends up with me, a piece of corn and the bodies of his entire family, including yet to be borns, all slewn across his/her front lawn.

While the meaty Mud Pluggers and Big Rigs can make stunning time through mud slewn lower lands.

The atheists are tickled pink, tho you can guess the righteous judgments slewn frothily from the other 60% of “commentators.”

a striking centerfold ad for Chevrolet. The half to the left shows a Mexican cowboy, sombrero on his head, rope slewn over his shoulder, with his horse in the blurred distance. The half to the right, shows a black 2007 Silverado against a yellow gold background.

Slewn also occurs as a past participle of the verb slew :

Equipped with relative encoders, the 40-inch has a fast speed, motorized slew motion in right ascension but is hand-slewn in declination.

angular speed searchlights may be slewn at. ..... lowing one searchlight slewn at a time is a clear disadvantage

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-01-30 22:24:00)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2009-01-31 01:40:30

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: slewn = strewn and slewn = slain

A very fun post. I’ve heard “slown” for “slowed” so often that it almost doesn’t feel incorrect anymore. But “slewn” for strewn/slung sounds delightfully wrong.

#3 2009-01-31 08:20:19

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I’ve wondered if “slown” (and/or “slowen”) might be related to the near synonymy of phrases like “He’s slowin’ down” with “He’s slowed/n down”.

#4 2009-01-31 14:02:23

patschwieterman
Administrator

I think the similarities in sound and use between “slowin’ down” and “slowed down” could certainly help reinforce this, but I bet the main factor is the template offered by blown/known/thrown.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2009-01-31 14:11:39)

#5 2009-01-31 14:14:58

patschwieterman
Administrator

I notice that the participles “blewn,” “knewn,” and “threwn” are all easy to find on the Web. For some reason, “knewn” also gets a lot more use as a past tense than the other two.

#6 2009-01-31 18:55:37

JonW719
Eggcornista

I’ve always felt that “had snown” should be the past participle of snow (and “snew” should be the past tense). Snow, snew, had snown… Our minds want to find some consistency among verbs that end in ”-ow.” But I never would have thought of “had snewn,” I must admit.

Feeling quite combobulated.

#7 2009-01-31 20:33:31

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

patschwieterman wrote:

I think the similarities in sound and use between “slowin’ down” and “slowed down” could certainly help reinforce this, but I bet the main factor is the template offered by blown/known/thrown.

I’m sure you’re right that the parallels with blown/known/thrown are crucial here. They (and other -n forms) would be what would make what was pronounced as slowín’ readily interpretable as slowen . “blowin’ in the wind” could work similarly, but less easily “knowin’” or “throwin’”, since they are transitives.
There are a number of verbs with both forms in use ( dived/dove, strived/strove/striven ), and it would be quite resonable to suppose that slow is another such.
Adding to the mix, at least in the US, is the use, normal in some dialects, of preterite forms as participials and vice versa: “I seen him when he done it”, and “I should have knew he would’ve did that”.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-01-31 20:49:21)

Board footer