Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-02-03 01:12:11

jorkel
Eggcornista

POKEMAN (Pokemon) and the Semantics issue

Many parents are accustomed to the notion of animated childrens characters falling into the Fill-in-the-blank-man category… Spiderman …Superman. Whence, Pokeman as a misinterpretation of Pokemon. But, I hesitate to call this an eggcorn because—as kem would point out—proper names lack semantics.

I don’t know the origin of the word Pokemon; it could have some significance to it. Or it may be an intentional alteration of something else; dozens of the Pokemon beings seem to have cleverly constructed names which are a modification of something they resemble. For instance, Squirtle seems to be a combination of Squirt and Turtle. For all I know, Pokemon could’ve been an intentional alteration of Pokey-man …with the intention of having it come full circle.

(By the way, klakritz had a post on MORMAN as an eggcorn of Mormon. The semantics arguement would probably apply to that as well… or any number of proposed eggcorns of proper noun origin).

Seems we’ve only scratched the surface on the semantics issue… I haven’t heard enough to decide whether it imposes the restriction that kem suggests. In my mind, all words are just names for other things—and a more important distinction seems to be whether these names (words) find their way into standardized constructions called idioms. I suppose that’s my convoluted way of saying that the truest of eggcorns derive from misinterpretation of idiomatic usage. (And idioms would be high on the semantic scale).

So, this brings me back to the other end of the semantic scale… Do the proper nouns we’ve discussed really have a complete lack of semantics? It would seem to me that the more they are used as building blocks within idioms, the more they gain in semantics. I think it’s unfair to say they otherwise exist in a vacuum.

#2 2009-02-03 09:16:22

nilep
Eggcornista

Re: POKEMAN (Pokemon) and the Semantics issue

In terms of etymology, pokemon is a clipped and blended version of pocket monster(s). In the cartoon, the monsters live in little spheres, which children (Pokemon Trainers) carry in their pockets. </otaku>

I think Joe is exactly right that Poke man is an analogy to Super man et al. I further think (apropos of (my understanding of) David Tuggy’s argument in the “petty Annie” thread) that reanalyzing a proper name as a phrase adds or changes structural meaning.

I further further think that man for mon is a meaningful change, regardless of whether the latter is taken to be a version of monster or a meaningless syllable within a proper name. That is, since man is clearly a meaningful morpheme in constructions such as Superman and Batman, its use in Pokeman adds new or altered semantic meaning. The fact that Poke is meaningless does not alter the fact that man has generalizable, non-arbitrary semantics different from those of Pokemon.

#3 2009-02-03 10:12:50

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

When I first heard kids talking about Pokemon, I initially thought the game was called Pokerman (much to their hoots of derision) which I still believe would do nicely for a game which involved bluffing or perhaps featured some maniac with a fire-iron.

#4 2009-02-03 11:31:58

kem
Eggcornista

Pokemon and Mormon are proper nouns? They are capitalized common nouns, aren’t they?

I’m becoming aware that we have a terminology issue. I’ve been using the term “proper noun” in the sense of “a personal name used for direct address or reference, or an unmodifiable name of a specific place or object.” English capitalization rules are not reliable guides to what is and is not a proper noun. The rules of English capitalization were invented to provide employment for copy editors.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2009-02-03 11:34:07

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Especially with names like Superman, Superwoman, Spiderman, and so forth, it seems perverse to assert that proper nouns (names) lack semantics. A meaningful (semantically non-empty) noun, and an adjective or another noun, are combined in a meaningful way (the adjective or second noun modifies the head noun). And then suddenly, because the combination is used to name an individual, we are supposed to believe that it loses all its semantics?
In any case, what kem had written before (mostly on the “petty Annie” thread, for those who missed it) had to do with proper nouns as components of an eggcorn, not of an eggcorned proper noun. Even if one says that “petty Annie” or “Lehmann’s terms” cannot be eggcorns because Annie and Lehmann are meaningless proper names, it wouldn’t follow that “Pencil Vainia” (if anybody thought that was what it was) couldn’t be an eggcorn for Pennsylvania because Pennsylvania is a proper name.
You say (Joe):

Do the proper nouns we’ve discussed really have a complete lack of semantics? It would seem to me that the more they are used as building blocks within idioms, the more they gain in semantics. I think it’s unfair to say they otherwise exist in a vacuum.

Expound more on this, please. What do you mean about them gaining in semantics? As you know, I would certainly deny that they lack semantics or exist in a vacuum. But this “gaining semantics” notion isn’t clear to me.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#6 2009-02-03 12:55:10

kem
Eggcornista

Especially with names like Superman, Superwoman, Spiderman, and so forth, it seems perverse to assert that proper nouns (names) lack semantics. A meaningful (semantically non-empty) noun, and an adjective or another noun, are combined in a meaningful way (the adjective or second noun modifies the head noun). And then suddenly, because the combination is used to name an individual, we are supposed to believe that it loses all its semantics?

For the record, I stopped using the line “proper nouns have no semantics” after the first post. The tradition of linguistics that has informed my thinking uses this sentence, and in the context of this tradition it makes an important point. But I see how other traditions define “semantics” in different ways, and for many of them the sentence is a red flag. “Proper nouns have a peculiar semantics” seems to invoke less heat.

Yes, the word “Superman” in the sentence “Superman, watch out for the Kryptonite!” is a proper noun and shares the peculiar semantics of proper nouns. The way it was cobbled together out of “super” and “man” by a comic book writer has little relevance to its syntactical role as a proper noun. Same goes for “Robertson,” “Susan,” and “Patience.” We can explain how each of these proper names were originally confected, just as we can “Superman.”

The public awareness of a name’s confection can affect how easy it is to transform the word into a common noun, of course. If someone say that an outstanding player is “the Superman of his team,” we have no trouble coming up with a lexical meaning for the new common noun. Indeed, if we leave off the capital letter and say “the superman of his team,” even someone with zero knowledge of the man of steel (does such a person exist?) could still make some sense out the phrase. Nietzsche still has his followers. But if I call World War II “the Edith of modern wars,” only an etymologist could parse my meaning.

The “Pencil Vania” example is an odd one. I’d like to see it in a non-punning context before discussing it. But as long as we are talking about the Keystone state, what about “Intercourse, Pennsylvania?” It is proper proper noun. The sniggers we hear are indications that the barrier between proper nouns and common nouns has been penetrated.

Last edited by kem (2009-02-03 12:58:23)

#7 2009-02-03 14:33:13

nilep
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

I’ve been using the term “proper noun” in the sense of “a personal name used for direct address or reference, or an unmodifiable name of a specific place or object.”

That’s certainly a defensible definition, though as you suggest we (the various contributors to this and the petty Annie thread) don’t all share quite the same notion.

By that definition, then, Annie in the sense of “David Tuggy’s friend’s daughter” is a proper noun, but Anniean impoverished girl; a fictional character symbolizing poverty ” is not. [Edit: That was badly phrased. For the common-noun definition I have in mind something more like “a symbol or prototype of poverty,” that is, not a specific girl or fictional character. See Kem’s “the woman in rags pulled a grimy Annie behind her.”] Have I got that right?

What then of the difference between, say, Mormon “the supposed author of the Book of Mormon” and Mormon “a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints”? Or, for that matter, Mormon as a shortened version of “the Book of Mormon”? I’m honestly not trying to be a smart ass. I’m trying to work out the differences between your definition and my own so that I can think about the effects they will have on our understandings of the debate at hand.

If I’m correct, Pokerman as a reanalysis of Pokemon would be a proper noun if and only if someone thought that it referred to a specific man or comic character. Since, I gather, Peter thought that Pokerman was the name of the trading-card based game but not of any specific character, it was not a proper noun? No, I think I’ve got that wrong: since it was the name of a game, which is “a specific … object,” it was a proper noun.

(What about the difference between England “the southeast region of the United Kingdom” versus England “the title used to refer to the monarch of that region/nation”? The latter seems more similar to king than to Elizabeth. This specific fine point is probably beyond what is needed to work out the current discussion, though.)

Last edited by nilep (2009-02-03 14:43:15)

#8 2009-02-03 15:00:40

kem
Eggcornista

Annie in the sense of “David Tuggy’s friend’s daughter” is a proper noun, but Annie “an impoverished girl; a fictional character symbolizing poverty” is not. Have I got that right?

Yes.

What then of the difference between, say, Mormon “the supposed author of the Book of Mormon” and Mormon “a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints”?

“Mormon,” the author of the Book of Mormon, is a proper name. “Mormon,” referring to a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, is a reference to one of a group, and so not a proper name. One of the easiest ways to tell if the occurrence of a word is a proper name (in English) is to try to modify it with an article. In the line “Ezekiel saw the wheel” we would not say “an/the Ezekiel saw the wheel.” But we would say “a Mormon believes that….”

Pokemon, as a card, is a common noun, just like “queen” or “ace.” As a card game it is also a common noun. “The game of poker/pokemon was a waste of time.” In fact, I’m not sure if Pokemon is ever used as a proper name. I think people get confused about the word because the word is both singular and plural. It does funny things because of the way it has been transfered from Japanese.

#9 2009-02-03 15:04:46

jorkel
Eggcornista

Sorry folks, I wasn’t thinking straight when I woke up from my sleep to write my initial post. I really should have stuck with the Pokemon topic rather than veer off onto heavier topics. But since I opened a can of worms, you’re welcome to continue… just don’t ask me to elaborate on any of the half-baked ideas that I spouted while still half-asleep.

#10 2009-02-04 09:45:02

nilep
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

One of the easiest ways to tell if the occurrence of a word is a proper name (in English) is to try to modify it with an article. In the line “Ezekiel saw the wheel” we would not say “an/the Ezekiel saw the wheel.” But we would say “a Mormon believes that….”

and then:

Pokemon, as a card, is a common noun, just like “queen” or “ace.” As a card game it is also a common noun. “The game of poker/pokemon was a waste of time.”

But notice that we say “the game of Pokemon” and not ”* the Pokemon” (in the sense of “the game as such”). Compare: “an appearance of Ezekiel” but not ”* an Ezekiel.”

As the title of a particular product (a game, a cartoon, what have you) Pokemon seems to behave more like a name. As an indefinite or generic element (a card within the game, a character in the cartoon, etc.) it behaves differently.

All of which is simply to say that the question of defining or treating proper nouns becomes quite sticky. I have suggested in the petty Annie thread, however, that the particulars may not be essential to eggcornology.

Board footer