Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-02-19 15:58:33

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Adj as old get out

Checking out a hunch while thinking about “I’ll get out” I found these three examples:

And I am envious as old get-out! COMOX BC…. August 16, 2003, Comox BC… White Rock Air Cadet earns his Wings and a Jet Fighter ride near the Speed of …

Carol Laula – [ Traducir esta página ] I came back as brown as old get out! Mull was wonderful. Our host – Gordon McLean – who was putting the gig on at An Tobar in Tobermory, couldn’t have been …\

Grand Admiral Joe & the Buried Treasure: A Fictitious Adventure / ... – Resultado de la Búsqueda de libros de Google de Allen Hingle – 2004 – Fiction – 372 páginas The mines are presently dangerous as old get out. The timbers have had over a hundred years to rot and weaken. Back in the mines, recently we found an elk … books.google.com.mx/books?isbn=1412009359…

Is “old get-out” somebody like “old scratch”? The mines whose timbers have rotted and weakened over the course of a hundred years and more suggests “old you-better-get-out”.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2009-02-26 16:42:45

Sandi

Re: Adj as old get out

I’m guessing they are slippages or reformations of “all get out” eg He was as excited as all get out
A mis-hearing of all for I’ll?

All get out is heard here in NZ, but not commonly. I’ve probsably heard more from an older generation, like my parents ie people in their sixties. Younger people here tend to describe an extreme idea with ‘totally’ “Like he was totally excited”. (like seems a manadatory sentence opener for my younger workmates)

#3 2009-02-26 18:06:14

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Yes, sorry I didn’t make it clear in the heading or in the post, but I certainly was thinking of it as a reshaping of “as all get-out”. I think I made that clearer in the earlier post (“Adj as I’ll get-out”.)
And yes, it is pretty old-fashioned, and was colloquial if not slangy even when it was more common. “Totally” is, as you note, like all more fashionable now, and beginning sentences with “like” or “so” is also very common. (I have heard a number of formal presentations of papers at conferences begin with “So,”.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-02-26 20:43:05)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2009-03-01 18:39:42

Sandi

Hi David

I suspected as much, but could not simply assume that Just because something is fairly common here in Kiwiland that it is also commoin elsewhere. I know too well that we have kept old sayings discarded by Mother England, and invented quite a few of our own.
As we say down here, “Sweet as!”, which can mean ‘awesone’ or simply ‘that’s all right’.

#5 2009-03-02 01:15:37

patschwieterman
Administrator

DavidTuggy wrote:

(I have heard a number of formal presentations of papers at conferences begin with “So,”.)

Seamus Heaney’s translation of Beowulf famously/notoriously renders the first word of the poem (“Hwaet!”) as “So”—so I’m convinced that what you’re seeing is evidence of the all-pervasive influence of Anglo-Saxon poetry in modern society. I could be wrong.

Board footer