Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-02-27 15:10:49

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I bet to differ

“I bet to differ,” Roger said, “Methinks your pictures slightly dead.

his jacob black role. and that taylor launter was to young to play. but i bet to differ because he is really hot with a double ‘t’

It isn’t enough to have some well-meaning friend remind you that ‘life is hard, and at the end, you die.” Or that ‘God never promised you a rose garden.’ ¶ I bet to differ. There are apparently clear and unambiguous promises in Scripture that He did so.

Apparently there are thousands of them. Surprised me, really.
It is probably in some degree a blend of “I beg to differ” with “I(’ll/’d) bet not/you’re wrong”.
It fits pretty well semantically. What does begging have to do with it (politeness being passé and all)? But since “I bet” means something like “I go on record as thinking it is true (that)”, the eggcorn easily comes out meaning “I go on record as thinking that the differing opinion is right.”

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2009-03-01 18:41:40

Sandi

Re: I bet to differ

I wonder too, if people are less familair with the use of beg in this way. They simply choose bet as the word they think they are hearing, because beg makes no sense to them.

Board footer