Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-03-02 21:38:03

kem
Eggcornista

Shiffer robe?

Arnold Zwicky just added “Shiffer robe” to the database. A perversion of chifforobes.

Another Annie Lehmann, I guess. Unless the word “Shiffer” has some meaning I’m not aware of. I’m wrecking my brains,* but I can’t come up with any imagery for “Shiffer” that might grease the substitution.

In one of the links in this post Zwicky points out yet another Annie Lehmann:

An apple name, provided by the owner of an old tree, is very useful even though it may be garbled. For example, the old southern apple ‘Magnum Bonum’ is often called “Maggie Bowman.”

Not bad. Not an eggcorn, but not bad.
———————————————

*http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3057

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2009-03-03 09:27:54

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: Shiffer robe?

I’m not aware of any freestanding meaning of “shiffer” either. But whatever a shiffer is, he or she must wear a robe, apparently. Shiffer robe seems suspect as an eggcorn.

Feeling quite combobulated.

Board footer