Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-03-18 06:56:37

nilep
Eggcornista

anal nitrite << amyl nitrite

This one was left at the Wikipedia page Talk:Eggcorn. Refreshingly, it was submitted for discussion rather than added directly to the Eggcorn page.

“anal nitrite”, which is also eggcorned as “amyl nitrate”.
Asat (talk) 05:01, 18 March 2009 (UTC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Eggcorn

I believe that the amyl >> anal shift is a classical malapropism rather than an eggcorn. The only semantic reshaping I could imagine would be a chain through recreational drug use to sexual associations. (Apparently, the effects of amyl nitrite are compared to those of cocaine.)

Similarly with amyl nitrite >> amyl nitrate I don’t see any semantic reshaping; more likely ignorance of the difference between nitrite and nitrate.

#2 2009-03-22 22:30:47

Sandi

Re: anal nitrite << amyl nitrite

I worked in a laboaratory over twenty years ago, where we kept amyl nitrate ampoules in case of a cyanide gas leak. A senior manager feared some might be stolen because of its (supposed) value on the black market. This was after he had been told of its popularity as a stimulant in the gay community.
Even way back then it was referred to as anal nitrate but I’m pretty sure that this was a pun rather than an eggcorn.

Board footer