Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2009-03-18 11:56:37

nilep
Eggcornista

anal nitrite << amyl nitrite

This one was left at the Wikipedia page Talk:Eggcorn. Refreshingly, it was submitted for discussion rather than added directly to the Eggcorn page.

“anal nitrite”, which is also eggcorned as “amyl nitrate”.
Asat (talk) 05:01, 18 March 2009 (UTC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Eggcorn

I believe that the amyl >> anal shift is a classical malapropism rather than an eggcorn. The only semantic reshaping I could imagine would be a chain through recreational drug use to sexual associations. (Apparently, the effects of amyl nitrite are compared to those of cocaine.)

Similarly with amyl nitrite >> amyl nitrate I don’t see any semantic reshaping; more likely ignorance of the difference between nitrite and nitrate.

#2 2009-03-23 03:30:47

Sandi

Re: anal nitrite << amyl nitrite

I worked in a laboaratory over twenty years ago, where we kept amyl nitrate ampoules in case of a cyanide gas leak. A senior manager feared some might be stolen because of its (supposed) value on the black market. This was after he had been told of its popularity as a stimulant in the gay community.
Even way back then it was referred to as anal nitrate but I’m pretty sure that this was a pun rather than an eggcorn.

Board footer