Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-03-27 11:06:43

Oikolukija

'fiercesome' for 'fearsome'

Some 14 kGh for this. Skipping past the first few Google pages, we see they’re mainly bona fide uses, including in books:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%2Bfie … t=140&sa=N

In fact, there are so many hits in Google Books, including some nineteenth-century ones, that I think it should be recognized as a variant. Not in the OED now though.

[Edited later: Apologies; I thought I always searched before submitting.]

Last edited by Oikolukija (2009-04-09 04:56:24)

#2 2009-03-27 12:23:34

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'fiercesome' for 'fearsome'

This is a good one that’s been suggested a few times; here’s a link to the earlier instances: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=2704

Back in 2005, Ken reported 5000+ hits. Now we’re at almost three times that. I’m not sure what that means, but this is clearly widespread in many registers.

#3 2009-03-27 16:01:07

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'fiercesome' for 'fearsome'

I thought it was a sort of poetic near synonym for fearsome, never mistook for that word. I’m rather surprised it’s not in the OED.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer