Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-04-07 00:55:25

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"fro" for "fray"

From a chat-list: “Then, of course Ms. Terry just had to bring the whole state of Israel into the fro.” This was in the context of a contentious discussion, and it seems pretty clear that the writer meant “fray” instead of “fro”. It’s very unlikely to be simply a misspelling, especially considering the distance from the “a” to the “o” on the keyboard. On the other hand, I’d say that “fro” doesn’t sound enough like “fray” to be a mishearing, thus it probably doesn’t qualify as an eggcorn, even though there could be a meaning connection, the “to and fro” of a contentious debate being a kind of “fray”.

Dixon

#2 2009-04-07 07:52:06

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "fro" for "fray"

The fray, whether physical or conversational, is by its nature kind of a back-and-forth thing, and often when you bring something into the fray you are putting it into play , which again for me has up-and-down, back-and-forth imagery. A blendish association with to-and-fro sounds right to me.
Meaning connections are of course not limited to eggcorns (they are necessary but not sufficient conditions): blends are rife with them. Which makes sense. As Lewis Carroll explained, blends come about most naturally when you are hesitating between two closely related meanings and have “that rarest of gifts: a perfectly balanced mind.”

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer