Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-04-20 20:43:05

seldom|seen

"Softer Ware" for "Software"

From a daycare facility communicating an issue with time clocks:

“The softer ware balances on the time clock are still not accurate for the majority of parents. We are still working with the computer person to get this problem corrected.”

Again, potentially a typo, but considering it was also misused in the e-mail subject line, I think it’s legit…

Subject: Softer ware Balances

#2 2009-04-20 23:51:13

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "Softer Ware" for "Software"

It would be an odd finger-slip typo: tre on a qwerty keyboard would be slightly possible though still highly improbable, but ter ? Seems much more probable that the person somehow thought there was an extra syllable, and perhaps the comparative – er , in the word/phrase.
For it to be a good eggcorn, there needs to be a good but unorthodox logic to it, something that lets it add up in an unexpected way to a total fits the contexts in which the word is used. I don’t get how softer ware fits in that way. What’s it softer than?
There are a good many likely cases of harder ware (along with many clearly advertent or unexceptionable examples, e.g. talking about harder ceramics for tableware.) I have the same problem getting them to make sense.
Still, my brain’s slow—maybe the rest of you see how they would work.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer