Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-05-29 09:42:56

Detroit

bowel for bowl

bowel of $hit instead of bowl of shit

Found 29 May 2009 in a Detroit Free Press reader comment:

ctorch22 wrote:
The people who are pro-republican or pro-democrat need to wake up and take a look at how their parties have made a mockery of the political system in this nation. BOTH parties will lie, cheat, and steal their way into office and will do anything to keep them there as long as possible. The day of the “Honest” politician has been long gone.

The election process is a popularity contest, and the winner will make all the statements to get the win, but will have to fall into the line and hands of the lobbiests in order to prolong their stay in office.

Republicans and Democrats want their parties loyal servants (the general public) constantlty fighting with each other so they can keep going to the bank and make millions if not billions for the supporters they really work for (Lobbiest and Corporations)

And the past 6 presidential elections the decisions on who to pick was like deciding on which bowel of $hit to take a bite out of.
05/29/2009 10:42:46 a.m. EDT

#2 2009-05-29 14:09:36

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: bowel for bowl

Lobbiest (2x so it’s probably standard) is another nice one here: we had a discussion somewhere before about the athiest of athiests, and nudests and such-like.
Bowel may be eggcornish in the context of $hit, but it is not necessarily, when one misspells things as often as the above poster does. In any case, it occurs in other contexts where it is not particularly eggcornish. E.g.

ice cream in glass bowels

[re what type of haircut:] He should get a bowel cut

[instructions for making beef jerky] you mix your marinade or spices with some ground beef in a bowel

remove bowel from mixer

(and doubtless others on the Inet: these had been collected separately)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-05-29 14:11:46)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2009-05-29 14:23:40

patschwieterman
Administrator

My favorite: the 66 unique hits for “bowel of ice cream”—only a handful of which look like intentional wordplay. Like David Tuggy, I think there’s a lot of misspelling involving bowl/bowel, and I’m fairly unpersuaded by claims of meaningful reshaping in either direction.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2009-05-29 14:25:43)

#4 2009-05-29 14:43:08

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Pat, you’ll enjoy my son’s sketch for that one. It’s intended as a menu decoration. It goes with the revolted eggs and the absolutely mouth-washing chicken charcoal.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-05-29 14:49:20)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2009-05-29 14:46:13

patschwieterman
Administrator

Well, I’m not sure I enjoyed it exactly, but, um, thank you….

Board footer