Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-06-01 21:19:07

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

invertro fetalization

A correspondent writes:

[Person’s sister] was talking about a couple that was having trouble getting pregnant, and was consider invertro fetalization.

A lovely spoonerism, iconic to the presumable meaning of invertro. (Did they get pregnant by making love standing on their heads?). Not standard for the speaker, but if it were …
“fetalization” does seem to occur in other cases as a substitute for fertilization, and maybe some of them are eggcorns? A human fertilization, at least, has as its natural eventual product a fetus. But a number of clear examples look more likely to be spelling errors rather than semantic restructurings, e.g. when they occur next to a (more) correct spelling.

Does fetalization take place in the oviduct? Where does fertilisation take place in human?

What if a lesbian couple uses in vitro fetalization to have a “bilogical” child? [quotes original. I don’t think it was to point out the absurdity, though—wouldn’t the child of lesbians be more likely to be monological?]

The source for these cells is left over fertalized ovum from in vitro fetalization clinics. There are only two options for these tissue samples:

(Most hits on “fetalization” are, naturally enough, usages where it means “neoteny, retention of fetal characteristics in the adult form”.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2009-06-02 10:00:36)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2009-06-01 23:41:36

kem
Eggcornista

Re: invertro fetalization

I found one more example of the substitution of “fetalisation” for “fertilisation” by using the UK spelling. I wish it were more frequent-it would make a lovely eggcorn.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2009-06-02 04:39:23

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: invertro fetalization

There are a good many other examples out there. It’s hard to get any kind of number because of the difficulty of singling them out electronically.
Another issue is the possibility of independent formation, i.e. of a person knowing the word fertilization (or – isation ) but thinking of fetalization as an separate legitimate word. I hadn’t known the word fetation, but it is defined as “The formation of a fetus in the womb; pregnancy.” Reasonable enough.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer