Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-06-24 22:20:05

burred
Eggcornista

A pit in your stomach

On Canada’s premier talk show this evening, the host was interviewing MafiaBoy, who brought down the internet in a well publicized series of attacks in 1999. GS, the host, said, “Most people, when they hear the principal announce their name on the PA, get a pit in their stomach.” This reshaping, of “get a (bad, funny, sinking) feeling in the pit of your stomach” appears on this forum in Brians’ list of common errors (link), but it was nice to hear it firsthand.

Quite common, as you would expect, with hundreds of examples on the web.

#2 2009-06-25 12:49:25

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: A pit in your stomach

I like it and find it a definite improvement on the original; suddenly dropping into darkness down a gloomy internal shaft somewhere in the jumble of one’s giblets seems to describe the feeling much more accurately.
I came across another variant which makes some kind of sense if ‘pith’ is read as vital or essential part:

And, as you lie in bed, tired and scared, you wished to Him, whatever it might be, to take the stabbing pain in the pith of your stomach away. ...

If you had burning at the pith of your stomach and now you have the problem you mention, this diagnosis is likely. 12. Barrets esophagous. ...

On the cold days there you can’t beat a hot Eien Punsch – a sort of hot egg nogg which warms the pith of your stomach and miraculously heats up cold feet! ...

#3 2009-06-25 17:15:48

burred
Eggcornista

The pith of your stomach is even better. And I think we need to find the recipe for Egg Nogg, or Eien Punsch. No noggle hits.

How eien punsch?

Last edited by burred (2009-06-25 17:17:10)

#4 2017-07-11 05:04:24

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

It’s pitch dark down there, and tarry too if you’ve been at the prunes, black pudding and caviar, all swilled down with gallons of Guinness.

I have nothing to compare it to, I think about it and get this horrible feeling in the pitch of my stomach.

With one loud grunt Krystal arched her back feeling a breathtaking feel shot up in between her legs to the pitch of her stomach.

Or perhaps pitch might be relating to sound.

Then he felt it coming from the pitch of his stomach, he opened his mouth to let out a high pitched scream that no one will hear.

Equally likely could be the abrupt plunges and skips from the horizontal experienced at fairgrounds, in lifts or in the sudden grip of an unexpected emotional experience.
Or could it be a simple sporting metaphor?

An imperative urge of getting to the gates as soon as possible was burning on the pitch of his stomach; a feeling that if he wasn’t fast enough, ...

Board footer