Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-07-29 22:03:39

clarknova

"land of milk and honey" -> "land of milking honey"

I saw this neat one on some forums. Not sure if it qualifies as an eggcorn or a malapropism, but I enjoyed it and this was the only place I could think to share it.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpo … stcount=10

I’m not sure about the Big Brother conspiracy. Rather, it’s all about money in this land of milking honey.

For the most part, I seem to see the phrase “land of milk and honey” used as sarcasm. This variation seems to have the same negative connotation of the original when used sarcastically, by denoting an exploitative/anti-capitalistic sense to it.

Also found in a blog post:
http://www.onelongminute.com/index.php?q=node/3672

So to my mates residing in places other than our land of milking honey. Eat your heart out, try as you might your internet access is going to get cheaper and cheaper and soon everyone around you will be content aware and aggregated. Yip even your pet cat will be connected. You will soon have to travel to South Africa to experience what it is like to be internetconnectedless or Internetconnectedly ripped off

-Dave M.

Last edited by clarknova (2009-07-29 22:27:35)

#2 2009-07-30 10:50:36

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "land of milk and honey" -> "land of milking honey"

“Milking honey” is too rare to make any guesses about motivations. But a delectable slip, nevertheless. Another one:

Post on a South Africa bulletin board: All the Nigerians/rest of Africa know how corrupt SA is and that they can buy a SA passport on every second street corner. They’ve got no problem entering SA and obviously streaming here because SA is the land of milk can honey comparing to the rest of Africa.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2009-07-31 08:47:41

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "land of milk and honey" -> "land of milking honey"

Welcome, Dave – a nice find and certainly eggcornish given the context you suggest. For some of us, perhaps, the spoonerising faculty/curse is never entirely absent and the ‘m’ of ‘milking’ – in some less than conscious manner – migrates to replace honey with money. Hmm, not much we can do with ‘hilking’ though.
For me the expression lends the honey molten, silky characteristics, which might lie behind the following variant:

bathe me with milken honey. I feel the everything… heavy drop drips at my navel thickened layered covered lips a trembled finger strums bends and crooks …

That said, I had a great Poli Sci professor who once warned us “Beware those offering the land of milken honey.”

For the warmth of humanity did not ooze forth from their pores like milken honey, but rather a decadent, and putrid smell seeped slowly, ...

Board footer