Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-08-15 06:33:57

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

It's about time to!

Is this an eggcorn or illiteracy?

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2009-08-15 18:38:21

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: It's about time to!

Welcome to the forum, JuanTwoThree.

I don’t like my list of options—I’d say it’s neither an eggcorn nor sufficient evidence for illiteracy. If the users meant “too,” then this is probably a simple and common misspelling—and one perpetrated by plenty of literate people. Of course, “It’s about time to” is a fine sentence, but it can’t be substituted for the other one, and it has a clearly different stress pattern (TIME, TOO vs. TIME to). Since “time to” doesn’t really make sense in the contexts where you’d use “time, too,” this probably isn’t an eggcorn.

#3 2009-09-11 11:47:53

Jim Dixon

Please give an example of the context in which you encountered “It’s about time to.” Without context, I can’t tell what the speaker meant.

#4 2009-09-25 15:05:09

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

If you google “It’s about time to. I” you’ll see examples of what I mean. I reckon it’s moot whether it’s a borderline eggcorn, illiteracy, a typo or what the writer really wanted to say.

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer