Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-09-08 07:37:49

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'story-eyed' for 'starry-eyed'

To describe someone as starry-eyed suggests that they are also dreamy, gullible or otherwise trusting and idealistic. ‘Story eyed’ reminds me of the expression on the faces of young children when they are enthralled by a well-told tale, and I suppose the above adjectives would apply equally.

A sign and language interpreter were just a few amenities that attracted 300 story-eyed spectators. Since its inception the Brieann doll and stories have …
keqakids.org/history.html – Cached

... and sincerely gets story eyed when he speaks about living in a Muslim country as a kid, be the Messiah who is going to rescue our American way of life? ...
mikemalloy.newsvine.com/_…/2480063-state-governors-a-call-to-arms – Cached

Everthing about you does it for me. I know we don’t travel in the same circles….but I’m 44 and story eyed.

Having become computer converts, story-eyed students tend to forget that neither the computer nor the programmer Is all powerful or fnfallible. The …
portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=953055.5696

They don’t get all gullible and story eyed and start fucking for handbags.” So true. That’s my main problem with a lot of women. Their priorities can be all …
www.ihiphop.com/?p=17360 – Cached

... rage,i want more fans,you want more stage,you’re alwas trying to keep it real,and i’m in love with how you feel,i kiss you all story-eyed,my body swings …

i don’t ever want to be one of those sad story eyed people whose morning bowel movements are fueled by winston lights. ecce & homo.
ak28.diaryland.com/winston.html

The springtime bride is story eyed, as poets often say. No other bride would dare to dream the dreams that April, May, The summer bride is glorified by …
www.lyricsmania.com/.../his_love_makes_ … _6866.html

#2 2009-09-08 10:44:41

kem
Eggcornista

Re: 'story-eyed' for 'starry-eyed'

Works for me.

I wonder what the image behind “starry-eyed” is. I could see it referring to someone being sad and crying-tears give the eyes a liquid sheen that reflects points of light. But what is the connection between stars and a vacuous stare?

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2009-09-08 22:03:13

David Bird
Eggcornista

Dreamy! A really great find, Peter.

#4 2009-09-10 09:30:37

nilep
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

I wonder what the image behind “starry-eyed” is.

Personally, I’ve always thought of it as related to metaphors of being grounded as opposed to having ones head in the sky. Various idioms for foolishness describe thoughts/head/eyes in the sky/stars/heavens, while idioms for practicality describe feet/bottoms/ or (rarely) viscera on the earth or ground.

#5 2009-09-10 12:58:45

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Chad’s just reminded me of one of my favourite eggcorns, star-craving mad, which represents an extreme of such romantic naivety.

Board footer