Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-09-16 11:41:22

CatherineR
Eggcornista

"blow zero" for "below zero"

From a student response to John McPhee’s essay, “Silk Parachute”: “McPhee’s mother…[took] him out to see planes in blow zero degree weather.”

I fervently hope this isn’t just a misspelling; McPhee’s essay mentions the “icy wind” in this scene, and I think the student may have morphed this into “blow zero.” Moreover, we are in the South, where “below zero” weather is pretty much unheard of. What do y’all think?

Last edited by CatherineR (2009-09-16 11:52:12)

#2 2009-09-16 14:51:09

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "blow zero" for "below zero"

Works well for me – I think it might be one of those low-hanging fruits we keep finding despite declaring the orchard empty. There are dozens of examples and although many must result from mis-typing, I suspect that some are genuinely eggcornish:

Well, if you think 16 blow zero is cold, today in MOntreal, it is going feel like -29 with the wind chill!!!!!!!!! GVD! ...
comment.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user… – Cached

Imagine, trees surviving arctic nights at a hundred blow zero with wind! One person, not watching his feet, could wipe out an entire forest in a couple of …
bradenfiles.wordpress.com/white-nights-in-the-high-desert/ – Cached

Her efforts to communicate sometimes resulted in “Mama-isms,” her own word inventions like, “Blow zero” (colder than zero degrees Fahrenheit), “Hotsy totsy …
www.kythera-family.net/index.php?nav=6-14&cid=5… – Cached

Big fans blast frigid air, driving the temperature down to 31 degrees blow zero Fahrenheit. “It’s as warm as it gets in the wintertime in Antarctica,” ...
www.telluridewatch.com/pages/full_story/push?... – Cached

Last edited by Peter Forster (2009-09-17 02:48:30)

#3 2009-09-16 19:20:17

kem
Eggcornista

Nice. “Tone death,” “rule brick,” and now “blow zero.” You’re on a roll!

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2009-09-23 08:52:00

CatherineR
Eggcornista

LOL. I’d forgotten about “tone death.” It all comes from teaching Freshman English.

CR

Board footer