Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-09-28 09:08:05

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

A Poultry Amount

I hope that after a false start I’m more on the right track with this one. I can’t find it in the database and Googling “poultry” or “paltry” and “eggcorn” brings up nothing relevant. However, it has been a play on words on numerous occasions, if Google is anything to go by, so some of the times it crops up may be tongue-in-cheek, and there is a small pronunciation difference. Though not perhaps for everybody?

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#2 2009-09-28 16:34:31

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: A Poultry Amount

It’s a very funny switch. Some might be tongue-in-cheek, others are malapropisms, but you have to wonder what’s running through the heads of those who use it earnestly. Maybe the idea is that the “a poultry amount” or “the poultry sum” is just chicken feed?

#3 2009-10-06 09:13:56

AdamVero
Eggcornista
Website

Re: A Poultry Amount

Nice that Mr Bird weighed in on this…

I think it’s more a malapropism, but there is a subtle hint of this being as unimportant as poultry.
A little bit like Joey’s explanation of “a moo (sic) point” on Friends:

Joey: All right, Rach. The big question is, “does he like you?” All right? Because if he doesn’t like you, this is all a moo point.
Rachel: Huh. A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it’s like a cow’s opinion. It just doesn’t matter. It’s moo.
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will buy a ridiculous hat – Scott Adams (author of Dilbert)
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life – Terry Pratchett
http://blog.meteorit.co.uk

Board footer