Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-10-19 11:38:28

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'profilic' for 'prolific'

I think this may be some kind of eyeggcorn as the difference between them is clear enough to the ear. ‘High profile’ folk are often described as prolific in whatever it is they might do and this may be the source of misunderstanding or misinterpretation. ‘Profilic’ has hundreds of hits but the more I examine it the less sure I am that it is actually an eggcorn at all, and yet it’s surely something similar, even if I should have entered it in “Slips etc’ rather than here.

Rabbits are very prolific. The correct way to spell profilic is p-r-o-f-i-l-i-c. BRIAN LARA IS A PROFILIC PLAYER OF CRICKET. ...
www.eduqna.com/Words…/1998-1-words-wordplay.html

He is one of the most gentleman conducted players, winning tons of Lady Bing Trophies, and still a high profilic goal scorer captaining the team. ...
www.paklinks.com/gs/1642044-post10.html

He gained near mythical status among C64 users in the mid 80s with his highly profilic output, developing complete professional games in only two weeks. ...
www.last.fm/music/Antony+Crowther

Expect a mad selection of funk, latin, reggae, hip hop and broken beats from this highly profilic DJ/producer! This night will also be the last for Jesper …
www.rawfusionrec.com/system/content/news.asp?id=57

#2 2020-01-25 11:06:39

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: 'profilic' for 'prolific'

I was about to enter ‘profilleration’ for ‘proliferation’ when I found this entry – a different time, eggcorn and imagery but I think it much tidier to have the noun with the adjective. Mind you, if I knew how to do a here in blue I wouldn’t be quite so self-righteous.
It is of course the fill or filler which I’m suggesting may be indicating growth and expansion following a stumble of the eye in reading the original. Without that extra ‘L’ I might assume a mere typo.

“Bad” gut bacteria profilleration leads to obestiy, depression and disease. “Bad” gut bacteria thrive when an individual digests discretionary food (junk food, ...

That OB is a lover of exploitative capitalism and is in drastic denial of DNA tinkering and the threat of nuclear profilleration does not make him …

Then, the next question is profilleration. A Windows virus could spread to millions of PCs, what good can an AS400 virus do, when most of the…

Every genre has split into a bunch of new sub-genres because of innovation and because of the huge amount of profilleration created by the Internet.

#3 2020-01-25 17:11:08

yanogator
Eggcornista

Yes, I think “fill” explains this pretty well.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#4 2020-02-04 17:07:24

burred
Eggcornista

Like this?

#5 2020-02-05 15:13:39

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Recursion promotes semipaternal profilleration, to be sure.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer