Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-11-15 02:09:12

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"detract" for "distract"

From the liner notes of the album “Whatever and Ever Amen” by Ben Folds Five: “Where this technique has served to distort the meaning of the original text, the fuzz tone of the electric bass guitar or a virtuosic drum fill has been inserted to detract the listener temporarily from the actual song.”

Presumably not an eggcorn, as I see no meaning connection, but it gave me a little chuckle anyway.

Dixon

#2 2009-11-15 10:18:37

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "detract" for "distract"

I could see an argument for connecting the semantic fields of “distract” and “detract.” One problem with calling the “distract->detract” switch an eggcorn, though, is familiarity ratio of the two words. “Detract” would come to most lips less readily than “distract.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2009-11-15 15:17:10

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

I could see an argument for connecting the semantic fields of “distract” and “detract.”

Well, maybe, but it seemed to me to be a long thin stretch.

One problem with calling the “distract->detract” switch an eggcorn, though, is familiarity ratio of the two words. “Detract” would come to most lips less readily than “distract.”

Hmmm…Is familiarity ratio a well-established eggcorn criterion? I don’t recall having seen it mentioned before and, offhand, I don’t see why it would make a bit of difference, in this or any case.

Dixon

#4 2009-11-15 19:52:28

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I think the familiarity ratio thing is best seen as a normal (prototypical) characteristic, something you kind of expect to see but don’t expect it all that strongly. Like expecting a cat to have stripes, but if it doesn’t you don’t start to doubt whether it is a cat or not.
That having been said, I don’t sense that huge a difference between the words—neither of them is in the first rank of common words, but both of them seem quite well-established to me, and either comes to my lips quite readily.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer