Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-11-19 00:50:24

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Two linguistic anachronisms...I think

I saw the movie “Pirate Radio” last night. The story took place in 1966-67, but there were at least two colloquial expressions used which I’m pretty sure didn’t exist until years later: “Think outside the box” and “big-time” (as in “My feelings are hurt, big-time” or something like that). Unless I’m mistaken, that’s some mighty sloppy script writing. Does anyone here know if there’s someplace I can look up the history of such phrases to find out when they came into usage?

Dixon

#2 2009-11-19 10:34:01

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Two linguistic anachronisms...I think

The online OED is sometimes useful for newer idioms. It has entries for both of your expressions, for example.

(1) For “outside the box,” the earliest OED citation is 1975. The dictionary comments:

[The idiom makes] allusion to a puzzle in which the aim is to connect the nine dots of a square grid with four straight lines drawn continuously, without pen leaving paper; the solution is only possible if some of the lines extend beyond the border of the grid.

(2) “Big-time” as an adverb meaning “extremely” is older/ The OED gives a 1950s citation: “1957 E. LACY Room to Swing vi. 93 The New York City police are good, big-time.”

Dating expressions can be difficult, however. Idioms often arise in subcultures and circulate for years before becoming visible in publications.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2009-11-19 14:10:06

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

kem wrote:

”[The idiom makes] allusion to a puzzle in which the aim is to connect the nine dots of a square grid with four straight lines drawn continuously, without pen leaving paper; the solution is only possible if some of the lines extend beyond the border of the grid.”

kem, thanks for the useful info. I guess it would be instructive, in terms of figuring out the actual earliest use of “think outside the box”, to know when the nine dots puzzle was first published. Not sure how I would go about finding that out…

Luckily, it’s not terribly important :^)

Dixon

#4 2009-11-19 19:46:18

kem
Eggcornista

A Wikipedia article discusses the history of the problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking_outside_the_box

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer