Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-12-16 05:00:39

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'null envoyed' for 'null and void'

I’ve mentioned before the increasing disinclination of public broadcasters to leave stresses where they used to be, and thereby allow the listener to make some sort of sense from their utterances. A shift of stress from the end to the middle led this listener to hear ‘null en voyed’ and imagine some new kind of diplomatic retaliation, perhaps. There is only one ghit but I was pleased to find any confirmation and, unlike Pat, I seem to have a particular fondness for the low numbers:

What do they gain from not wearing them? less protection, all their sensors and gadget stuff that helps them analyse the battlefield are null envoyed when …
www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203138

#2 2009-12-16 06:26:39

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'null envoyed' for 'null and void'

I love it.
Do you pronounce the word [ˈɛnvoʲd] or [ˈanvoʲd] ? The former pronunciation would work more easily here for me, but I suppose either could do, especially if the stress is dropped way down.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2009-12-16 08:50:35

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I pronounce ‘envoy’ as I would ‘enjoy’, with the stress on the first syllable of course, and a ‘v’ rather than a ‘j’ too – it is a shame I’m so intimidated by the IPA for it obviously makes many things much easier.
I assumed most Americans used a Frenchified initial vowel but I suppose that’s down to the Warren Zevon song, and he may well have been a little atypical. But the on-voyed pronunciation does yield the following:

... is seeking a court declaration that Kurup’s win in Penisangan uncontested was null on void due to various breaches of the Election …
www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=59259 – Cached

Should any or several of the provisions of the Agreement be invalid or null on void, this shall not affect the remaining provisions thereof. ...
www.fiberring.com/legal/257/ – Cached

It isn’t particularly eggcornish, but I like the idea of pressing some extra nothing into emptiness.

#4 2009-12-16 14:55:02

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I think that’s a lovely eggcorn—like black on dark; null on void. Yeah! Actually not that much less overly-redundant than the acorn …

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer