Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-01-20 15:54:08

kem
Eggcornista

aegean << augean

The fifth of Hercules’ twelve labors was the cleaning of the Augean stables. Augeas, King of Elis, had accumulated a legendary collection of cattle, and, with the cattle, a feed-lot-sized mountain of manure. Augeas contracted with Hercules Waste Removal, Inc., to clean out the stables. As an incentive, he offered the company CEO, Hercules, a tenth of the cattle if he could do the job by himself in one day. Hercules completed the task before the deadline by diverting the channels of two rivers into the stables. This remarkable feat ultimately contributed to the bankruptcy of HWR, Inc., when Augeas welched on the deal and the company was sued by Greek Department of the Marine Environment for befouling half the Mediterranean Sea.

Or something like that.

If you think I’m confused, what about the thousands of people who describe the fifth labor of Hercules as the cleansing of the Aegean stables? Granted, a few of these folk may have used the phrase correctly: the term “Aegean” is often associated with the Greek peninsula (“Aegean peninsula,” “Aegean civilization”). But even this rationale has problems–the closest association of the word is with the Aegean Sea that lies between Greece and Turkey. Elis, where the stables were located, is on the western side of Greece, the part that faces the Ionian Sea.

Three examples:

Web bio: “He wrote in a personal journal that I only saw after his death, that it would be his preference, like Hercules’ task to clean the Aegean Stables, to take a great river of energy and wash the students clean all at once.”

Blog entry: “ Those of us who have been working in Aegean stables, not unlike the senate, have always been shovel ready.”

Comment on online article of The Guardian: “But whatever (yet again), I will NOT vote for a republican until they have cleaned out their Aegean Stables.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#2 2010-01-20 17:52:17

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: aegean << augean

Nice. Clearly (wouldn’t you say?) motivated by graphic rather than phonological similarity.
And classic Kemistry in the reportage. That was fun.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-01-20 17:53:22)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2010-01-20 18:53:44

kem
Eggcornista

motivated by graphic rather than phonological similarity

Depends on how you pronounce “aegean” and “augean.” The “correct” pronunciation has a soft g for both. For some reason I’ve always thought of “augean” as having a hard “g.” Studied too much classical Greek, I think.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2010-01-20 20:40:05

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

For me the “au” and “ae” sounds would be very different. For some reason I have (in my mind, not out loud—don’t know if I’ve ever said or heard Augean ) stressed the first syllable in Augean but the second in Aegean . (I do have a soft g for both.) But maybe that’s just me.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2010-01-22 16:57:46

yanogator
Eggcornista

Here in the Midwest of the US, the first syllable might be pretty close to a schwa sound for both, if the accent is on the second syllable. I would pronounce both with a soft g, too.

Bruce

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

Board footer