Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-01-25 19:36:55

David Bird
Eggcornista

"preverbal" for "proverbial"

A pure malaprop, I think, though it presents a vivid image nonetheless, of facing a difficult situation mutely, without being able to express your reaction.

Adolescent angst
Living in Georgia is the eternal pit of the preverbal Hell.

Astrology, I think
A place where you stumble, fall, get snatched up and tossed down, laced with arsenic ego for utter emotional destruction, troubled, snared, deceived distracted and transformed. It is your preverbal hell on earth.

Marketing
when your selling premium energy drinks, you need a tough name that will bite the bullet and not roll-over and play dead in the c-stores or end up in the preverbal dog house.

Preverbal proverbial roundtrip

Deepest financial anxieties
There are ways to take us back to look at these childhood proverbial memories.

#2 2010-01-25 21:15:44

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "preverbal" for "proverbial"

I’m not certain, but I think this might fall into the ESCULATOR category described on the Language Log:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language … 04805.html
(reproduced below)

4. Esculators. Among the other things that aren’t eggcorns are reanalyses motivated not by semantic considerations but by morphological (or morphophonological) considerations, reanalyses that I’ve treated in several earlier postings. Some representative examples:

nucular, perculate, esculate, simular, jubulant, nuptuals
doctorial, pastorial, pectorials, similiar
intravenious, mischievious, grievious, heinious
overature, aperature, fixature, mixature, strucature
masonary
fellatiate
cerviacal
dialate
longetivity
dimunition
incompacitated

To which I can add some morphological re-shapings involving -edly vs. -ably that have excited some discussion on ADS-L over the last few years:

supposably, assumably, reputably [-ably for -edly]
presumedly [-edly for -ably]

#3 2010-01-25 22:55:32

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "preverbal" for "proverbial"

I think you may be right. There are thousands of legit “preverbial”s out there, maybe preverbal is just a misspelling of a misspelling.

Board footer