Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-01-26 04:37:24

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'right-off' for 'write-off'

This substitution features regularly in used-car ads and refers to a damaged vehicle which would cost an insurance company more to repair than to replace – the vehicle would be ‘written off ’ the company’s books.
The eggcornish ‘right off’ might use right as an intensive perhaps, like damage right off the scale?

It was a right off – the wreck fetched $5k and I was given $8k less $500 excess – it cost the insurance company $2500 for a right off! ...

Smashing into numerous cars along the way causing untold damage and a surge on car insurance claims, the bus itself was also a right off. ...

looks like a right off but is repairable if there is no chassis damage … Yup, deffo a right off dude, looks to me like you will have a bent chassis leg …

More a driver driving too quickly (possibly under the influence) and smashing into a wall leaving his car a right-off, then running from the …

The weekend was a right off as I was feeling really rough with the rash/allergic reaction I am having. I actually didn’t leave the house all weekend. ...

I imagined that ‘written off’ might have some corrective effect, but apparently not:

Here i am selling my 206 GTI interior brought a few months back from a scrappy, now righten off my car so selling everything in it. It comes with …

... good to go. i did all the work myself. it ran great for two months then it was righten off from ins. after a moose hit us on hoildays. ...

BHP`s announcement today represents a fraction of the cost to develop in Saskatchewan and could easily be righten off as a tax loss if it …

#2 2010-01-26 13:17:42

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'right-off' for 'write-off'

Besides righten off :

Why the hell the loans are righted off? THe loans should never be righted off.

While reading to the children of Camden County, Earl reminisces about a recent deed that he and Randy righted off their list.

if it could ever be fixed the van was righted off all it had was 700ks

Interesting commentary (from somebody behandled “one80to1”. Auto-man apparently went back and fixed the comment that had provoked this one):

auto-man you are obviously correct. ¶ it would help if you spelled it properly though, its not RIGHT-OFF as in CORRECT-OFF or OPPOSITE-OF-LEFT-OFF. past tense is not RIGHTED-OFF. ¶ its WRITE-OFF as in with a pen and paper, past tense WRITTEN-OFF.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2010-01-26 13:18:39)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2016-01-05 21:53:48

burred
Eggcornista

Re: 'right-off' for 'write-off'

Seen on a facebook post over the holidays. I took it to be understood as a synonym for completely off, wiped right off.

On Wednesday Dec 23rd on Southpark dr just south of Mohawk gas station at aprox 8:40 am her parked car was hit from the back completly righting it off.

Board footer