Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-01-28 19:41:31

klakritz
Eggcornista

'drowned and quartered' for 'drawn and quartered'

‘Drawn’ in ‘drawn and quartered’ is semi-opaque, so as a phrase to describe elaborate torment, ‘drowned and quartered’ is a good substitute. 30 ghits:

He was called a traitor, was tried and executed for it and in a gruesome way (hung, drowned, and quartered) to make a statement …
www.matrix-explained.com/.../about-the- … 1a822e48e1

The consultant who forgot to put back the SD-card in the camera has been whipped, slapped, skinned, drowned and quartered.
www.heliade.net/?p=229

I know I could do the job while being drowned and quartered, let alone in my sleep.
recoverymonkey.net/.../my-frustration-with-the-quality-and-education-of-cios-ctos-it-directors-what-have-you-what-caliber-it-manager-should…

I’d rather just have someone strangle me and then eat me later, as opposed to being eaten alive or ripped and drowned and quartered.
books.google.com/books?isbn=1602397694…

He was drowned and quartered in the main square in Cusco.
www.global-unlimited.com/Pages/Exped/Pa … ait01.html

#2 2010-01-28 21:49:59

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'drowned and quartered' for 'drawn and quartered'

Interesting that the utterer who didn’t know the “drawn” part of the idiom still used the “quartered” portion. I wonder what the utterer’s explanation of “quartered” might be.

Last edited by jorkel (2010-01-28 21:50:25)

#3 2010-01-28 23:04:28

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Seems like it might still be the literal meaning: cut ’em up in four pieces after you drown ’em.
Some of the quotes seem like they might be jocular: you know, the “boil them in oil, then hang them, then keep them on bread and water for six weeks” kind of a thing. Still, with 30 quotes it’s more likely to be standard for somebody.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2010-01-29 10:35:45

David Bird
Eggcornista

Are there places in the world where drawn is pronounced as drown? There are an equal number of drown and quartered hits.

Also, drawn and courted which could mean many things, but in the examples I found it seems to suggest “brought before the courts”, and probably not wooed.

Immigration debate
And dont pay attention to he nationalistic idiot that commented before, he should be hanged, drawn and courted.

Athlete doping
Essentially, that is what these screw ups are, a bunch of thoughtless, selfish idiots who need to be hung, drawn and courted!

Board footer