Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-02-13 00:55:42

David Bird
Eggcornista

"volumble" for voluble

Words flow from voluble people. The Latin roots of “voluble” involve revolving, rolling, easily turning, as in words rolling and spilling off the tongue. Volumble adds volume to the flow1. I guess this would fit under the rule brick of a reshaping or an innovation.

The UN’s most volumble defender on this was, of course, the Payola Pundit
(http://mediacrity.blogspot.com/2006/01/ … olton.html)

Dharma retreat blog
this morning the dawn corrus was particularly volumble.
(http://amidatrust.typepad.com/dharmavid … t_ret.html)

Witter’s whining became the most volumble when Ricky was a national talent
(http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/archi … 36022.html)

1 Volume comes from the same roots as voluble, but passed through roll of parchment >> book >> voluminous book >> quantity.

#2 2010-02-15 10:48:47

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "volumble" for voluble

I would call “volumble” an eggcorn. My only quibble is that it isn’t a very frequent error–not many examples on the web.

Interesting, isn’t it, how a word we now associate with a spoken event (loudness) has its source in a written event (a book).

At one point in my life I did some thinking and writing about the metaphorical nature of certain sense experiences. We tend to regard adjectives that describe sight events as relatively literal references. In the phrase “The fruit is red | round | beautiful,” for example, we don’t think about “red,” “round,” and “beautiful” as metaphors. They seem to be at home in the visual realm. Adjectives of touch also tend to be taken as literal terms–the descriptors in the sentence “the fruit is heavy | gooey | cold” don’t appear to be borrowed from other contexts. Sound adjectives often have a literal feel: the adjectives in the sentence “the noise is loud | shrill | raucous” don’t feel like metaphors. But not all sound terms are literal–many, like the word “volume,” appear to be borrowed from other senses. Consider, for example, “your voice is faint | husky | muffled.“ These three adjectives look like metaphors of visual phenomena. The metaphorical trend we see in sound adjectives becomes more intense when we turn to taste and smell experiences–almost all of the taste and smell adjectives that we employ in English are either overt or subtle metaphors. In the line “the smell is sharp | heavy | pungent,” the smell adjectives bow to our other senses. Except for “sweet,” and perhaps “sour,” most taste adjectives seem to be borrowed from touch and sight experiences, as these examples illustrate: “the fruit tastes bitter (it bites) | salty (like salt) | peppery (like pepper) | tangy (has a tang, a point).”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer