Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-02-13 15:26:35

David Bird
Eggcornista

"ammune system" for immune system

Ammunition comes from adhesion of the article “la” onto “munition” by French soldiers, producing l’ammunition. This metanalysis happened in another language but I think we could add it to the list Kem put together. It stayed “ammunition” in English but went back to the unadorned form in French. “Immunity” comes from different roots related to community service and municipality. The sense of “resistance to disease” didn’t develop until we got that idea together a bit more than a century ago.

A long-winded introduction to a longshot, tenuous link. Referring to it as the ammune system could easily be a misspelling. On the other hand, since the immune system targets, fights and kills intruders, might there be a connection in some people’s minds?

Support group
They had me set up a app. with a indo. and he said my adrenals were were not working and the vir. I got caused the ammune system to kill the glands mix signals and they took out what they should not have .

Support group
The only possible reason for so much sickness could be the lowered ammune system like some of you have indicated…but also the fact that our ammune system is working overtime to heal and regenerating new skin, it is probably compromising the other bodily systems at work.Just a thought…are all your children always hungry, as in famished?? and if so maybe encourage them to over eat in all good foods, as they nay need mega doses of natural vitamins found in their food intake…as the normal amounts PROBABLY get taken up by the skin, and MAY deprive the ammune system’s fighting ability.

AIDS answers
31- the virus morphs so every time our ammune system trys to kill it with antibodys they can’t
32-the virus itself doesn’t kill people. it weakens the ammune system so it cant fight off other viruses that will kill you. they can be as simple as the flu

#2 2010-02-13 18:43:16

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "ammune system" for immune system

Makes sense to me.

“Ammunity” for “immunity” is also quite common.

“Ammunition” is the nearest gravity well. Could, though, “amino acid” have an influence on the change in spelling in some cases? Plenty of examples of “amune system” and “amunity.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-02-13 23:01:21

David Bird
Eggcornista

That is a prescient, or scient, connection to amino acid.

Bioware gamers
Well the club will do whatever their clients paid for, I’m just saying it doesn’t prove Batarians and humans are biologically compatible, much less turians and humans. Remember that dextro/levo ammuno acid thing?

Indian veterinary supplies
alphamin powder (mineral mixture with ammuno acid)

Google asks, Did you mean:immuno acid” . So I bit. There are more than 100 immuno acid references, and some of them are clearly eggcornical, making a connection to inflammation and immune system boosting.

Dr. Frances: Speaker, Motivator, Health Expert
Taurine – this is an immuno acid and acts as an antioxidant and reduces infl ammation as well as blood
pressure.

#4 2010-02-13 23:47:49

patschwieterman
Administrator

I think “ammune system” belongs under “Slips,” but I also think “immuno acid” is so cool that it deserves a separate write-up over on the eggcorns page.

I’m scratching my head at this one—so many of the instances are from science websites or journals. Amino acids are talked about all over the place in textbooks treating biology, biochemistry, chemistry and other fields. Even if you’re a non-native speaker of English, I can’t imagine how you could do any work in any discipline related to biology or chemistry and not know the standard term. And my spell-checker is flagging “Immuno acid,” so that makes it a little less likely that this could be a “Cupertino.” Weird.

Board footer