Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-02-15 11:01:18

David Bird
Eggcornista

Balmy <<>> barmy

‘Look here, sir,’ he said, almost kindly, ‘you’re balmy. Had a whack on the head, I expect.’1

‘You’re barmy if you expect me to believe that, you’re round the twist—’2

Balmy <<>> barmy is phonetically similar to alms << arms that was discussed this morning. I was surprised to find that, as epithets for loopy, these are both legitimate, with independent origins, having grown together in meaning, and surely not by coincidence. Balmy, for delicately fragrant and salubrious, was adopted into London slang for weak-minded or idiotic in the mid 19th c. Barmy means bubbly or frothy and is applied to a beer with a nice head of suds, or barm. Barmy has also indicated “excitable, flighty” for about 400 years. It took on the sense of “crazy” in the late 19th c.

1 http://books.google.ca/books?id=GXiiawv … 22&f=false
2 http://books.google.ca/books?id=FgSZmDH … 22&f=false

#2 2013-03-08 12:12:18

fpberger
Eggcornista

Re: Balmy <<>> barmy

They seem to be mixed up in other contexts as well. I found plenty of hits for people enjoying the “warm barmy air”, which I also heard on BBC radio earlier today. (Although a search on “barmy weather” mostly got articles about bizarre summer snows, etc.)

Board footer