Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-02-22 15:17:38

David Bird
Eggcornista

"renowal" for renewal

A seminar speaker from Spain I had the pleasure to hear had the word “renowal” in his slide presentation, which he pronounced as renewal. A simple spelling mistake, perhaps, on the evidence of the pronunciation. But a shufti round the web showed that this is a quite common substitution (more than 200 instances). I wonder if it might not be ovoid. It would be a blend of new and now and renew and renovate. “Renowal” is to be brought back to the now.

Wedding apparel advice
I don’t see the problem with a pantsuit. If we ever have a vow renowal, Linda could be a wearing flannellette nighty (we’re Canadian, eh!) and I would see only what she is.

#2 2010-02-23 13:07:16

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "renowal" for renewal

The web also has a plethora of citations for “renowed” in place of “renowned.” Perhaps influenced by the iconic (and fleeting) fame of “the now girl.”

Examples:

Lodging advert: “The hostel is well placed for exploring the ancient castle town of Kanazawa, renowed for its crafts including pottery and lacquerware.”

Headine in article on NZ fishing: “Little stream in New Zealand becoming world-renowed for trophy brown trout”

Ezine article: “The UK’s Guardian newspaper is not renowed for quality business reporting. ”

Our database has an entry for “renowned -> reknowned” (http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/524/reknowned/ ).

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2010-02-23 13:29:46

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "renowal" for renewal

For those in the now, it’s not enough to just be knowed.

Mansion of the Doomed
World-reknowed eye surgeon Dr. Chaney (Richard Basehart), blames himself for a car accident that left his daughter Cathy blind.

Board footer