Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2010-02-27 12:08:03

David Bird
Eggcornista

"pimp" for primp

Following the popularity of the TV show “Pimp my ride,” (popular with me at least!) it seems to me that “pimp” for gussy up, make flashy, might be more familiar to many than “primp.” Although they inhabit different ends of the scale of delicacy today, that wasn’t always the case. Pimp is the older word, probably coming from a French word meaning “to dress elegantly.” Primp may be related to prim. To find potential eggcorns I looked for modifications of a stock phrase, primp and preen. Of course, it may be just an unfortunate typo!

Indian gossip
she MUST be a slave to fashion and pimp and preen for the cameras
http://indiaplusplus.com/entertainment/ … human-show

Bring Smokers in Doors
as long as health nutbags, who pimp and preen every single molecule that enters their body continue to get cancer, I will continue to combat the myth

Zen gardening
This dedicated fleet of workers pimp and preen the gardens to perfection

Pickup art
A real man does not pimp and preen and trick and cajole.

#2 2010-02-27 21:04:11

klakritz
Eggcornista

Re: "pimp" for primp

I saw this one- but in the opposite direction- in 2006:

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=449

#3 2010-02-27 21:46:29

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: "pimp" for primp

Noooooo! I didn’t even check this one, I was so confident it was unique. Still, I guess yours gives a bit more credibility to the primp >> pimp direction, he said to console himself. Kudos!

Board footer